How to install Win10?

AZotwe

n00b
It's been about 6yrs since my last build so things have changed quite a bit. I've been reading up on various optical (BluRay) drives and have seen that many are not recognized by Win10 until AFTER Win10 is installed. So how do you go about installing if the optical drive is not recognized until after the OS is installed? Or do all these reviews/problems mean that the support for BluRay doesn't work until after OS is installed, but basic DVD read functionality works just fine.

I'm looking at using an LG WHN16NS40 as my optical drive on an ASUS Maximus VIII Hero.

Regards
AZotwe

Another alternative might be downloading the Windows Media Creation tool for Windows 10.
Then choose the USB creation. the USB drive must be at least 4gb :)

I have no optical drive on my desktop so I can't help with optical media installation if the drive is not recognized by the media...

I've been reading up on various optical (BluRay) drives and have seen that many are not recognized by Win10 until AFTER Win10 is installed.
Where did you read this?

These drives are just SATA drives and SATA is a fairly standard thing.

Where did you read this?

These drives are just SATA drives and SATA is a fairly standard thing.

I read it in the customer reviews for a number of BluRay drives on Amazon. That's why I was wondering if it was just the BluRay specific functionality that required that the OS be completely installed.

Obviously Windows 10 can't recognize a drive until it's installed - because it isn't installed on the system yet. Customer reviews written by angry Turbo-PEBKACs are a poor source of info.

I have never had an issue with any optical drive booting.....and I got 6 optical drives in my system!

It's a standardized interface. The drive just says, here's some data for you.

That being said I still recommend the USB stick just because it's faster (even USB 2).

I use Rufus to create my USB installs. It's much better than the default windows creation tool... I hate that thing... frequently fails for me.

Amazon reviews about technology tend to reveal the people who probably destroy their PCs by fire or static electricity. Don't trust those reviews to tell you how modern technology works. SATA drives of any type don't require additional drivers beyond what is required for AHCI or ATA communication between the controller chip & the devices connected. Now if you're running a M.2 SSD, you'll need additional drivers but Windows 10 has them built-in & device specific drivers are available from the hardware manufacturers.

Yea the problems you read about win 10 and installing from your bd drive are probably from people who had no idea how to make a win 10 disk in the first place. With that being said if you have never used a usb as install media your really missing out lol usb3 can finish a windows install in like 60 seconds instead of 30 minutes. Once you use usb you will never go back

Yea the problems you read about win 10 and installing from your bd drive are probably from people who had no idea how to make a win 10 disk in the first place. With that being said if you have never used a usb as install media your really missing out lol usb3 can finish a windows install in like 60 seconds instead of 30 minutes. Once you use usb you will never go back

I just installed it on a laptop with USB 3. I used an ISO that I got from our volume licencing center. It took 3 minutes 22 seconds to get from the point where I told it where to install, to the first reboot where it goes into the system to set itself up. It was installed to a Samsung 850 evo SSD.

I have a 5 year old system and had no issues doing a clean install from DVD/BluRay.

Back