• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

How to install socket 'M' HSF (with Pics)

ilikecake

Gawd
Joined
Feb 20, 2006
Messages
759
Hi, I am working on building a computer with a Core Duo T2300 processor (original thread here). I have some experience installing HSFs, but because this processor has no heat spreader, I am wary. I have not been able to find *ANY* information on how install the HSF on this processor. I have pics if the relevant components:

hsftopzc5.jpg

The HSF and backplate

hsfsideug3.jpg

The HSF from the side

cpufa1.jpg

Processor

mobons0.jpg

Motherboard

Can anyone explain to me the proper method of installing this HSF? It looks like the screws on the for corners have two different threaded sections, and that if you screw down too much, the screw will run out of threads and the spring will push back up. Is this the mechanism for keeping too much pressure off the CPU die?

Sorry if this is obvious, I have not run into this type of retention system before, and I have killed chips by crushing the core before, so I am paranoid.
 
yeah its to keep you from over tightening the screws and crushing the core, when the thread bottoms out, your done.
 
Yeah. Screws will help keep it safe. Same type of connection on the Abit mobile mobo but it at least had a foam square around the core.
 
So I take it I am supposed to tighten the screws a little at a time and switch off which screw to tighten to avoid putting off-center load on the core and breaking a corner off?
 
So I take it I am supposed to tighten the screws a little at a time and switch off which screw to tighten to avoid putting off-center load on the core and breaking a corner off?

yeah, I usually do a half-turn on each screw in an X pattern to even out the load. '

Top-left, bottom-right, bottom-left, top-right, repeat.
 
Thanks guys, you rock. I spent like an hour searching for instructions in the internets, and I post here and get an answer in 15 min. :) I will post back to let you guys how it goes and if I have any more questions.
 
Another question: I installed the CPU (see other thread for pics), but the HSF didn't install quite the way I thought it would. Am I supposed to tighten the four bolts until the springs are fully compressed?

The temps are a tad high ~45C in the BIOS using stock TIM and not fully tightening the screws.
 
Eh does seem high, but i think its a mistake to ever use stock TIM. I don't know if you tightened the screws correctly, but your temps do look high. Anyway, my point is get some quality arctic silver compound anyway.
 
Thanks for the reply. While I knew the stock TIM would be worse than AS5 or whatever is best these days, I did not think it would be too bad. This processor is for a small home server that I expect will see pretty light load most of the time, and will not be overclocked (of course). Under those conditions, I did not think that using the stock TIM would be that bad. If you guys really think AS5 is necessary, I will apply it

But

Due to an accident and my own stupidity, I only have one hand for the next month or so. Under those circumstances, I would like to avoid the somewhat complicated process of applying AS5 to the bare-core T2300. I was hoping that I had just not tightened the screws enough. Does anyone know if I am likely to hurt the CPU if I tighten the screws until the springs are tight?
 
Eh how small of a case are you in? Ventilation may be your problem. And what is your ambient room temp? If it is hot, then you are going to run hotter. 43 C is relatively high compared to most of the other t2300's. But its not necessarily "HOT" so i think you are going to be alright with the way it is now.
 
It is a miniITX case, so it is quite hot. See the thread referenced in the OP for the details. Ventilation will almost certainly be a problem. Also, I just ran CoreTemp from a bartPE Boot disk, and the core temp read around 65C. :eek: That seems a bit hot.

Ambient temperature is around 25C (supposedly, I have no thermometer handy) so that may also play a role.
 
65C is definitely hot. But your case doesn't help things. I would wait until someone can tell you about the screws.
 
i assumed that you had tightened the screws all the way, if you didnt, it really shouldnt matter that much as long as the heatsink is being held tightly... however, the only way to know for sure is to pull the heatsink and check its contact patch... which means reapplying a new TIM.. option 2 would be to know that this needs to be done at some point in time (when you have the use of 2 hands) but in the meantime swap out the stock fan for a higher flowing (and mostlikely louder) fan as that would not require a reseat and reapplication of the paste. that looks like a 60mm fan, and i know delta makes some empressive highflow 60mm fans.. but they will make your ears bleed.. you have been warned.
 
Well, I tried to tighten the screws on the HSF. The temps lowered a bit.


In case it's hard to read, the temps are

Core0: 53C
Core1: 60C

Ambient is 29.7C measured by a thermocouple. This is still too hot I assume? I guess I will have to get some AS5 or a better HSF.
 
Back
Top