• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How to install processor on Supermicro P4QH6

Joined
May 22, 2010
Messages
2,079
Does anyone know how to install the Intel Socket 603 Xeon in Supermicro P4QH6 motherboard? I have the manual and it shows how to do it but not with the way the processors I have are attached to the heatsink or how to remove them from the heatsinks I have.

Here is what the manual shows:





and this:





and this:






and finally this:





This is what the socket looks like with the arm unlocked:





This is what the processor looks like and what I mean by when I say the processor is attached to the heatsink:




How the heck do I get it off the heatsink, so I can put it in the socket with out bending the pins or damaging something?
 
Last edited:
Been awhile since I messed with my own Prestonia servers... Before you get into it, I have to ask this first: Have you verified that your CPU will work with this MB? I ask because that's a Xeon DP (Prestonia) that you're trying to put into a board that asks for Xeon MP (Foster/Gallatin).

Now, onto the heatsink:

It will not work on this particular socket, sorry. If you don't have the Supermicro HSF's you'll have to buy fresh and even throw out the retention clips currently in place. This one was probably engineered by another OEM for a special 603 socket with the required grooves in it.

There are two possible ways that CPU is coming out, and keep in mind it is probably very attached via TIM to the heatsink above it. #1 is that lever at the bottom right should retract both hooks and you can wiggle the CPU loose, down, and out. #2, since you can't use the 'sink in your system anyway, is to break off the plastic clips (or the entire black plastic piece) with pliers or something, wiggle the CPU loose and pull straight out.
 
Been awhile since I messed with my own Prestonia servers... Before you get into it, I have to ask this first: Have you verified that your CPU will work with this MB? I ask because that's a Xeon DP (Prestonia) that you're trying to put into a board that asks for Xeon MP (Foster/Gallatin).

Now, onto the heatsink:

It will not work on this particular socket, sorry. If you don't have the Supermicro HSF's you'll have to buy fresh and even throw out the retention clips currently in place. This one was probably engineered by another OEM for a special 603 socket with the required grooves in it.

There are two possible ways that CPU is coming out, and keep in mind it is probably very attached via TIM to the heatsink above it. #1 is that lever at the bottom right should retract both hooks and you can wiggle the CPU loose, down, and out. #2, since you can't use the 'sink in your system anyway, is to break off the plastic clips (or the entire black plastic piece) with pliers or something, wiggle the CPU loose and pull straight out.


Is this the lever I circled in the picture because it doesn't move? Also my Dad and I tried removing heatsink cover to remove it that way and it wouldn't budge without the possibility of breaking something. Especially the processor.





and if not then use my previous picture and circle what your talking about in #1. Then if I can't do #1 I'll move on to #2 or higher. As for the processors being Xeon DP's (Dual Processor) instead of MP (Multi-Processor) version you may be right about them not working in the board. I don't know though. I just know they are all identical and came bundled together. If you think I should sell these and start looking for the MP version's let me know.
 
Last edited:
Is this the lever I circled in the picture because it doesn't move? Also my Dad and I tried removing heatsink cover to remove it that way and it wouldn't budge without the possibility of breaking something. Especially the processor.





and if not then use my previous picture and circle what your talking about in #1. Then if I can't do #1 I'll move on to #2 or higher. As for the processors being Xeon DP's (Dual Processor) instead of MP (Multi-Processor) version you may be right about them not working in the board. I don't know though. I just know they are all identical and came bundled together. If you think I should sell these seperately and start looking for the MP version's let me know.

Nevermind I guess because these are DP versions like you said and I found and bought the MP versions instead, I think I'll just leave them attached and sell them, which I'm probably better off doing. Thank you anyway though.
 
You're welcome, sorry to be the bearer of bad news on the CPUs. I only have 603/604 DP servers so I couldn't vouch for a single or double DP working on an MP board.

Out of curiosity, what are you going to do with such an ancient system?
 
Is this the lever I circled in the picture because it doesn't move? Also my Dad and I tried removing heatsink cover to remove it that way and it wouldn't budge without the possibility of breaking something. Especially the processor.





and if not then use my previous picture and circle what your talking about in #1. Then if I can't do #1 I'll move on to #2 or higher. As for the processors being Xeon DP's (Dual Processor) instead of MP (Multi-Processor) version you may be right about them not working in the board. I don't know though. I just know they are all identical and came bundled together. If you think I should sell these and start looking for the MP version's let me know.

You're welcome, sorry to be the bearer of bad news on the CPUs. I only have 603/604 DP servers so I couldn't vouch for a single or double DP working on an MP board.

Out of curiosity, what are you going to do with such an ancient system?

When I bought this case the ebay seller gave a very bad or vague description that didn't tell me much about the SC850P4 chassis. In fact they may not have even known or wanted to tell me that it was from the SC850 family or that it was the newer SC850P4, so by the time I figured this out I aready had the chassis for about 8 years now. I wanted to use it for the P3DRIII, which I also own because I like rare motherboards and parts from the Pentium III Coppermine and Tualatin days and purchased it to complete my collection. However, the P3DRIII was not compatible with this chassis front panel and I didn't want to damage the board or the chassis.

I have no desire to keep the SC850P4 now though, since I can't use it for the P3DRIII. I also have no desire to keep the P4QH6 motherboard or the Socket 603 Xeon MP's @2.8GHz because they lack any modern CPU features like, Executable bit and AES instructions. However, considering this board and system could still use some modern day Operating Systems and software except CentOS 7 and Redhat 7. I could still find a use for it.

Especially considering it's impressive specs for 32-bit system even as old as it is. In all honesty this is the only system of it's kind that could theretically run windows 8 because it's the only 32-bit platform to support PAE and NAX extensions, since it supports beyond 4 GB of RAM at a whooping 32 GB max memory support. However, I have know idea how it will meet the graphics requirements with the only graphics chip it has, which is the on board 8 MB ATI Rage XL unless there are PCI-X graphics cards out there that support Directx 9.0 or higher.

Then again though this is a server board and why would anyone want to run Window 8 or even 8.1 let alone 10 if it even supports that and if 32-bit computing is still supported by then. The same goes for Windows Server 2012 if it is even available for 32-bit systems because if this thing can run windows 8 then why not run Server 2012 on it, since it is a server.
 
Last edited:
I gave up on this things sorta because I can't find anyone who sells the MEC (Memory Expansion Card) and PVM (Power Voltage Module) anywhere on the internet. When I asked several potentional sellers they all said they don't have it in stock anymore and that it has been discontinued by the manufacturer. So much for my idea of running windows 8 or 8.1 on it just for SnG's. I really wanted to install Oracle Linux on it though or Solaris X86 too, but that ain't happening now. Anyone interested should look under ebay auctions on here where it's listed.
 
Back
Top