How to identify unknown devices coming up on Asus Router?

johnnyscience

Limp Gawd
So I just bought a new Asus X8 Airmesh router and have some unknown devices coming up on my Devices List under the Network Map tab.

I know the device "Space" is my computer

Device 6E is the Asus router itself - I was able to determine this by enabling/disabling it and testing ip.me

I thought Device D6 was the second node of the Asus X8, but I am not sure. The IPs are very similar. But if I just enable D6 while 6E is disabled, I can't connect to the internet.

But I have no idea what these other devices are or would be. I don't even have any Android devices in the house that I know of.

Thanks.

router devices.png

The first half of the MAC address identifies the manufacturer. You can try using a site such as this one to look it up.

Also, your phones and other devices may be set to randomize the MAC address for privacy. This shouldn't be an issue at home, so you can usually set such devices to use the true MAC address per saved SSID.

Ok so I entered each full address into that website and nothing came up for any of them

Was I supposed to just enter a certain amount of the MAC address, or the whole thing?

How do I make the devices show me their true MAC address to identify them?

I only have my computer, iphone, & samsung tv connected to this wifi right now, so it was very odd an Andriod phone was showing up - no one in the house has anything android. Now it's not even coming up at all.

The 6E MAC address is the Asus router

But I'm not sure if that covers the 2nd node, or if one of the other devices showing up is the 2nd node?

The other 2 devices coming up have the same symbol, and the exact same IP address except for the last set of numbers

What do the Manual & DHCP labels mean?

What do you think?

Untitled3.png

Last edited:
Ok so I entered each full address into that website and nothing came up for any of them

Was I supposed to just enter a certain amount of the MAC address, or the whole thing?

How do I make the devices show me their true MAC address to identify them?

I only have my computer, iphone, & samsung tv connected to this wifi right now, so it was very odd an Andriod phone was showing up - no one in the house has anything android. Now it's not even coming up at all.

The 6E MAC address is the Asus router

But I'm not sure if that covers the 2nd node, or if one of the other devices showing up is the 2nd node?

The other 2 devices coming up have the same symbol, and the exact same IP address except for the last set of numbers

What do you think?

View attachment 663275
The Client IP addresses are local IP addresses to your network. There isn't any reason to black them out.

You could look at the traffic analyzer and see if it shows anything for those devices.

Also if you scroll to the right it should have a mac address column

Last edited:
MAC addresses don't necessarily match the vendor of the product you buy. Sometimes they match, other times they don't. For example I have a little HP LaserJet that comes up "Hon Hai Precision Ind. Co, Ltd." My Pixel 7 and iPhone 13 both come up as unregistered MAC addresses.

Windows computers will often show up twice on router device lists if they have a wired and a wireless connection. Macs will turn off the Wifi if you plug them into a network cable, but Windows leaves it enabled and just sets the metric to prefer the wired connection.

Some devices will send a hostname along with a DHCP lease request. Computers tend to do this, but so do lots of other devices. iPhones apparently don't, or at least my iPhone 13 doesn't. Or maybe work just turned that feature off. They do things like that.

Back