How to Identify PSU Cables?

DSee

2[H]4U
This might seem like a stupid questions but:

Let's say you walk in a room with 4-6 PSU's (all same brand, just different models, like X-650/750/850/1050W), and a bunch of bags with mixed cables in a box.

How would you identify which cable set belongs to a specific PSU? Would using a different cable cause any damage to the PSU or PC?

I have a bunch of Seasonic Modular PSU's with cables all mixed up, now I'm having trouble knowing which is for for what.

Thanks.

Would using a different cable cause any damage to the PSU or PC?

More likely it could do irreparable damage to whatever device you plug into it by supplying the wrong voltage to a pin.

Thanks for the suggestion... Hopefully there are no cables from other PSU's mixed in there as well.
I will just ask as I use them

The risk is too severe. Do not try this blindly. This is not a work-no work test thing.

Try to segregate all of those cables. Sata to Sata, Molex x2 to Molex x2 and so on.
Personally I would use a continuity meter and look for any cables that stand out configuration-wise (crazy and lengthy).

You could at least take good macro pictures of the cables (pay attention to connectors obviously), write down the desired PSU model, and send all the pictures to support.

Maybe someone who has your chosen model of PSU will chime in and verify the pics.

Yes, specially with the amount of versions each PSU was released... X-1050, etc..

This might seem like a stupid questions but:

Let's say you walk in a room with 4-6 PSU's (all same brand, just different models, like X-650/750/850/1050W), and a bunch of bags with mixed cables in a box.

How would you identify which cable set belongs to a specific PSU? Would using a different cable cause any damage to the PSU or PC?

I have a bunch of Seasonic Modular PSU's with cables all mixed up, now I'm having trouble knowing which is for for what.

Thanks.

Hello DSee,

Thank you for your message.

We will be glad to help you to find what is what with your cables and PSU's.
For this, please send us an email at: support-at-seasonic.com. Kindly include some pictures of your cables and pictures of rating label of your different PSU's.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
Seasonic Team.

Reactions: DSee
like this
HI! Well Done SeaSonic! I have several of your products.(even WON one here once) Quality all the way.

I had a similar problem 2 years ago when I built 3 new systems and then moved the same month. Some of the pins are "Square" shaped and others are "D" shaped.

Seemed one "Might" fit into the other. I had found a second card to make my crossfire setup for cheap after the move and needed a cable.

Had to Triple check (I taught my 70YO Mum to check it for me once) my cables to get my crossfire running shortly after the move.

BTW It works a treat!

Again WTG SeaSonic Crew!

this is what i did in a similiar case

plug the cable into you PSU. use a voltmeter to measrue the volt on the pins. evrify with ATX specs that they are positioned right or wrong.
The cable i had delivered 12volt to a wrong pin with my PSU. So i simply moved the pin ovet and voila correct voltage all over.

funny part is that cable was from a corsair psu and i was using it on a corsiar psu. corsiar just changed layout at some time...

5 mins and you are done.

HI! Well Done SeaSonic! I have several of your products.(even WON one here once) Quality all the way.

I had a similar problem 2 years ago when I built 3 new systems and then moved the same month. Some of the pins are "Square" shaped and others are "D" shaped.

Seemed one "Might" fit into the other. I had found a second card to make my crossfire setup for cheap after the move and needed a cable.

Had to Triple check (I taught my 70YO Mum to check it for me once) my cables to get my crossfire running shortly after the move.

BTW It works a treat!

Again WTG SeaSonic Crew!

Problem is that even if it fits the pinout might not be correct. The best way to confirm is to verify using a multimeter with a diagram of the ATX pinouts next to you.

Hello DSee,

Thank you for your message.

We will be glad to help you to find what is what with your cables and PSU's.
For this, please send us an email at: support-at-seasonic.com. Kindly include some pictures of your cables and pictures of rating label of your different PSU's.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
Seasonic Team.

I will take many pictures and send you the model of the PSU's.
Much appreciated it.

Back