• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How to ID 2.8c cap count?

theHinge

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 4, 2004
Messages
139
This may be an idiotic, over-asked Q, but...

Just got my new 2.8c from newegg (all I could afford). How do I determine if it is one of the mythical '30 cap' chips?

The product code is BX80532PG2800DSL6Z5 / FPO/batch # 3414A875 / version# C53923-002 if that makes a diff, made in CR. Packed on 5-19-2004.

Thx.
 
mayakindaguy said:
look under your cpu and count the caps

Usually I would say the same here, however in this case that probably isnt necessary. As far as Im aware all SL6Z5 CPUs (such as his) are M0 stepping and therefore 30-cap.

Its also a Week 14 of 2004 chip, quite new for an M0, it could end up being a great overclocker.
 
Nitro16 said:
Usually I would say the same here, however in this case that probably isnt necessary. As far as Im aware all SL6Z5 CPUs (such as his) are M0 stepping and therefore 30-cap.

Its also a Week 14 of 2004 chip, quite new for an M0, it could end up being a great overclocker.

Woo-friggin'-hoo! (i was hoping for something like that) I must open this box and set her up!

Edited to include: just looked this chip up on Intel's site and it is indeed the M0 stepping. What makes that so special?
 
m0's are rejected p4ee cpu's, they have more capacitors, a larger die, and a few extra pcb layers. the are believed to be better overclockers because they are p4ee's that failed testing, i dont believe that 100% because it may have been able to pass the cache testing but not the frequency test. also, m0's transfer heat a little better because they have a larger die.

m0's only come in 2.4c and 2.8c's, i have a 2.4c m0 that is hitting 3.4ghz with only 1.55v

it looks like your "all i could afford" cpu is quite a find :D post results when you get that overclocked.
 
the gallation (30cap) cores do run slightly hotter than the regualr 12 cap northwood cores.
 
acascianelli said:
m0's are rejected p4ee cpu's, they have more capacitors, a larger die, and a few extra pcb layers. the are believed to be better overclockers because they are p4ee's that failed testing, i dont believe that 100% because it may have been able to pass the cache testing but not the frequency test.

I have a P4C 2.8 core M0 and I would like to know if there's a way to unlock the 2 Mb of L3 Cache that may still be on the proc.

Thanks
 
DomTiDom said:
I have a P4C 2.8 core M0 and I would like to know if there's a way to unlock the 2 Mb of L3 Cache that may still be on the proc.

Thanks

no, there is no way.
 
Back
Top