How to help me, help you:

Ranma_Sao

2[H]4U
I've been answering quite a lot of questions on this forum, and I keep asking for the same things, so this is what I need from you, if there is a problem you need help with:
Note: Anywhere I say C:\windows or C:\documents and settings, substitute the directory's name if you renamed them, or installed to a different drive

1. If it's a crash or bluescreen please post the dump files somewhere I can get at them.
a) Bluescreen dumps are stored in C:\windows\minidump
i) If you have full dumps set up it's stored at C:\windows\memory.dmp
b) Crash dumps are stored at:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\user.dmp
i) Unless you changed the path by running drwtsn32
2. Notify up front any tweaking or changed you have made.
a) Services turned off
b) Pagefile turned off
c) OverClocking
d) Etc. More Information the better

3. If you are running an illegitimate copy of Windows, don't bother asking for help.
a) If you are trying to bypass security features, Don't Ask

4. I work full time, and have a life outside of work, so don't be suprised if I don't answer right away. ;)

5. I can't help with crashes that aren't windows based, as I only work on Windows.
Windows Setup To be exact. Edit: I now work in the Security Business Technology Unit
Edit tk 2: I'm now a cybersecurity consultant with Microsoft Consulting Services.

The above post is my personal views and opinions, not that of my employer.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Mods: If you disagree with this message feel free and delete it, I'm just trying to speed up the diagnosing of problems. ;)

Last edited:
Ranma_Sao said:
Mods: If you disagree with this message feel free and delete it,

bump :p

I know I really appreciate having you around ;)
thank you for all the hard work

wait WAIT you read dumps!

wow! I onced asked how to read a dump and I was told that if I got to the point I was reading a dump I better be a programmer and making really really good pay!

No offense, as I agree with everything your saying....but those of use who have been here a long time and now considered "answerers" have been asking and pleading for MOAR information all the time. It never seems to work, no matter how many stickies B.B.S. let me put up top. I guess it's just life...because I encounter the same problem in real life as here. I'm all for having this message posted and viewed often.

big: I wish I made a lot of money. ;)

djines: I know, but now I have a post I can refer to, when I ask for stuff. Phoenix always gives me crap for not posting how to get the dumps etc...

Ranma_Sao, ;)

djnes, yeah, and do you know how many times I linked to your "we need XYZ info posts?"

Like my stickies, I don't expect people to read them on their own, I send people there. Heck there have been 3-4 threads on page files since I posted that thread that could have been answered if they read the stickie first. If they knew where to go for help, they wouldn't need "answeres" :D

Maybe we could contribute to a general questions list.

Some other stuff:
  1. Tweaking software counts the same as changing configurations manually—please let us know what you've installed in this regard.
  2. I know it's difficult to resist, but blaming system meltdowns on Windows/Linux/whatever right off the bat is a good way to get your dilemma ignored by those of us who require information before suggesting a course of action.
  3. If you are having a crashing problem, it's a good idea to be able to list all of the hardware, software, and configuration changes you've made before you experienced the problem. There are common symptoms for many things, but there are also very similar symptoms for a lot of problems out there.

1. If it's a crash or bluescreen please post the dump files somewhere I can get at them.

no bluescreen whatsoever

2. Notify up front any tweaking or changed you have made.

none

3. If you are running an illegitimate copy of Windows, don't bother asking for help.

its the dell version that comes with the computer

4. I work full time, and have a life outside of work, so don't be suprised if I don't answer right away.

k

5. I can't help with crashes that aren't windows based, as I only work on Windows. Windows Setup to be exact.

got it

---------

so here is my problem:

Ok so a firend of mine's computer is doing some weird things. She has a slightly aged Dell pc. Every time she boots into windows explorer crashes. When I try to run something out of the task manager I can only do things that I know such as regedit, msconfig, cmd, and iexplore. Funny thing all but iexplore work. Iexplore crashes upon running it. Anyway, the microsoft send error program says the following:
app name explorer.exe
mod ver 0.0.0.0
app ver 6.0.2900.2180
modname unknown
offset fe9ed40f

Creating a new user account does not do a damn thing differently. Adaware and Spybot say that the computer is clean. Mcfee says its virus free.

The computer works like a chrarm in safe mode. Though if I boot into SF with networking, the internet does not work.

Anyway, do you guys have any ideas about this one ?
Any help would be greately appreciated.

Thank God.. just the first post needs to be a sticky...

between that info and DJNES and the rest of us screaming for more info..MAYBE it'll work

This is why I sigged djnes. People just dont ask the right questions or give enough info

Ranma_Sao said:
I need the dump files to be able to do anything. ;) Read step 1b). ;)

damn
its ony my friends computer
ill paste it when i get on her computer
but itll be a while
sunday or so
ill be home this weekend

hulksterjoe said:
Thank God.. just the first post needs to be a sticky...

between that info and DJNES and the rest of us screaming for more info..MAYBE it'll work

This is why I sigged djnes. People just dont ask the right questions or give enough info
I'm going to print the first post out and hang it up in the window looking into my office. I wish the problem was just confined to the forum, but it's not. Just yesterday a guy ran into my office in a panic asking if I could fix his laptop...he had a major presentation in 2 hours. I asked what was wrong, and he just kept repeating "Well, it doesn't work, can you fix it? Please please tell me you can fix it." I'm so glad I don't do desktop support anymore. I can just refer him to the help desk.

Current Setup is a legit copy of MS win 2k all Service packs.
It is currently my Mail server. Fprot and Norton for antivirus.
Pretty basic setup nothing out of the ordinary.

This is the output of the Event viewer

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Save Dump
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 5/23/2005
Time: 3:02:32 PM
User: N/A
Computer: CITATION
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000001e (0xc0000005, 0x804b218b, 0x00000001, 0x00a710d4). Microsoft Windows 2000 [v15.2195]. A dump was saved in: C:\WINNT\Minidump\Mini052305-02.dmp.

I'm assueming the above is the genric output of a crash.

Below is the link to the minidump file
http://www.yzordderrex.com/~keith/Mini052305-02.dmp

Thank you in advance
Keith

Cool, I got bad news for you however. I am out sick today from work, and will be on vacation starting tommorow. (I always get sick before vacation, I wish it wasn't so) I won't be back until middle of next week to review your dump file.

What I can tell you from the numbers is something Access Violated in kernel mode.

Usually this means a driver crashed:
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Fprot and Norton? Usually running two a/v together can cause problems. Has it worked fine before?

Ranma_Sao said:
Cool, I got bad news for you however. I am out sick today from work, and will be on vacation starting tommorow. (I always get sick before vacation, I wish it wasn't so) I won't be back until middle of next week to review your dump file.

What I can tell you from the numbers is something Access Violated in kernel mode.

Usually this means a driver crashed:
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Fprot and Norton? Usually running two a/v together can cause problems. Has it worked fine before?

I recently put the Norton on the machine. The previous Admin had F-prot running but it seemed to have done nothing in terms of Real Time protection. So i put Nortorn on it. Didn't think it would harm it much to have 2 running. Thank you for the response and hope you have a nice vacation.

flboad said:
I recently put the Norton on the machine. The previous Admin had F-prot running but it seemed to have done nothing in terms of Real Time protection. So i put Nortorn on it. Didn't think it would harm it much to have 2 running. Thank you for the response and hope you have a nice vacation.
When NTFS tried to create a file it failed. Something was hooking createfile. If you disable norton do you still have these problems?

Ranma_Sao said:
When NTFS tried to create a file it failed. Something was hooking createfile. If you disable norton do you still have these problems?

Want to start off by saying thank you for takeing time to look at it.

I have disabled Norton and will be monitoring the progress over the next couple of days. I had disabled the f-prot. After you had said that haveing 2 could lead to probelms. I will Monitor this and let you know how it works out.

Thanks again

Keith

p.s Sorry for the Pm i missed the reply on the foroum

In advance, I would like to thank anyone who helpts me out with this problem...

Blue Screen (of Death) pops up randomly, not all the time, just randomly.
Computer has been shut down to avoid problems happening to it.

Kernel_Data_Inpage_error

Blah Blah Blah... do this to stop it... none have worked...

Technical info

stop 0x0000007A(0XC03E1938,... and so on

atapi.sys - address F864E384 base at F8641000, datestamp 4110764d

Then does this:

Beggining dump of physical memory...
Physical dump complete

This is all occuring on a Dell laptop:

Pentium M -> 1.5 GHz
512 mbs RAM

I ran memtest86+ for 24 solid hours and returned 0 errors. I have uploaded the dumpfile to the web:
Dump Files

If you could lend me some of your expertise, I would be very much abliged.

Thanks again
Bobby

Striker8118 said:
In advance, I would like to thank anyone who helpts me out with this problem...
http://ee.lagparty.org/striker/dumpfile/
*SNIP*

If you could lend me some of your expertise, I would be very much abliged.

Thanks again
Bobby
Your hard disk or CD-Rom is disappearing while Windows is trying accessing it. Please check your cabling/drives/mobos.

I really don't know how to check any of those because it is a laptop. I dont really want to take the case off or anything like that, because I know nothing about laptops.

Bobby

Striker8118 said:
I really don't know how to check any of those because it is a laptop. I dont really want to take the case off or anything like that, because I know nothing about laptops.

Bobby
Well, good luck. I would suggest taking it to a repair shop then, and have them check everything. I would wager your mobo might be going bad, but without seeing the machine I have no way to guarantee that.

flboad said:
Hello,

I am hopeing your still around to look at Dump files.

This one is from a windows XP machine. Problem Just started recently. It seems to reboot very randomly.

http://www.yzordderrex.com/~keith/Mini072705-01.dmp

Thanks in advance

Keith
Can you answer the other questions I have? O/C etc? And can I have more then one dump file if possible? This one is saying your IDE driver double freed pool, which is interesting in that there are no other reports of a crash like it in the windows bugs db. Oh, and upgrade to Service Pack 2. ;)

Ranma_Sao said:
Can you answer the other questions I have? O/C etc? And can I have more then one dump file if possible? This one is saying your IDE driver double freed pool, which is interesting in that there are no other reports of a crash like it in the windows bugs db. Oh, and upgrade to Service Pack 2. ;)

Sorry about that

No O/C, WinXP, No abnormal Changes made, No Tweaks, This is a legit copy

This computer is the only computer that i have not upgraded to SP2, There is an extremely large amount of important data. That i worry about during the upgarde.(The new computer the user is getting will be SP2, i assure you) The user does a lot of CPU heavy jobs. Matlab and such. Attached Below are a couple more dumps.

07 21 05

07 22 05

07 25 05

Also some things to note, These computers were all purchased and built at the same time. I had 1 other computer failing, that no one really used so i switched it out and wrote it off as a power or ram failure. Now this computer that is important is doing the same thing as the other one. (Just speculation, but i'm thinking the problems could be the same). Hope this sheds a little more light on the situation.

Also i ran Memtest for 18 hours no errors.

Thanks for taking the time to look at these.

Keith

Edit: The crashes would occur when having a couple windows open and he would run excel macro's he created, Also at some point when the nightly backup would connect to the remote agent it would crash. And randomly when he would be working in Excel.

Ranma_Sao said:
What's interesting is none of the stack traces have anything in common. :( This happens on both machines?

Your reply. Sounds as though this is an unfixable error?

Well, Those 3 links up above are all from the same computer. I can fire up the other that had similar problems. And grab the dump files from it as well if you would like me too.

flboad said:
Your reply. Sounds as though this is an unfixable error?

Well, Those 3 links up above are all from the same computer. I can fire up the other that had similar problems. And grab the dump files from it as well if you would like me too.
I just want to understand the problem better. This problem repro's on both machines? Have you ran an antivirus suite on these machines?

Ranma_Sao said:
I just want to understand the problem better. This problem repro's on both machines? Have you ran an antivirus suite on these machines?

Yes both of the machines get scanned Daily, and are updated automatically from a secure update server. I've Defraged C, Scanned with many different spam scanners ie. adaware, ewido, spy bot. They basically come up clean. 1 thing i will mention. Today i was trying to make a backup of the machine through Backup Exec, (Backing up System State, shadow copy, partion info, and all of C) And it crapped out giving me a BEremote.exe error. Canceling the backup. I'm not sure if it's unrelated

OS is Win XP Pro fully updated

This is what is listed in event viewer

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Save Dump
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 8/26/2005
Time: 3:31:40 AM
User: N/A
Computer: TURNER
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000000a (0x8e80158e, 0x0000001c, 0x00000000, 0x804dc6d0). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini082605-01.dmp.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

andy

every 4 days or so. my windows box freezes. i dont get any blue screens either or anything like. the even viewer stops recording events after 12am, i was on the PC until 1 am. what type of info can i send you so you can help me out?
running win xp SP2, system restore turned off. i dont hav any virus or spyware problems either. i dont overclock either.

I've been a lurker on the [H] forums for a long time, and this thread made me want to chip in and say thanks to Ranma_Sao, djnes, GreNME, Phoenix86, and all the other helpful folks that post in the OS forum. I can't tell you how many times that one of your posts has helped me fix someones PC or tweak mine for maximum performance. I also appreciate everyones efforts to debunk some of the more pointless Windows tweaks that are circulating on the net that cause more harm then good. Thanks again guys and keep up the great work!

I think the others have been putting more time and effort into it lately, but I appreciate the kind words. :)

Back