How to ground your ESD mat/wristband

soulesschild

Supreme [H]ardness
As title says, I'm a bit lost as to how to properly ground myself. I have an ESD wristband and ESD mat which I used to just clip onto my computer case. Also I'm assuming on an ESD mat, the side which you put the PC on matters correct?

If your PSU is plugged in (need not be on), you can clip onto the computer case. Inside, bare metal tends to be grounded. Watch out for external attachments - some cases have clear coated surfaces that are not conductive.

I made a grounding plug for times when the PSU is not plugged in or not available. I took a three prong plug (regular 15A plug for North American mains) and ran a wire to the ground pin. The other two blades were isolated from the ground wire. At the other end of the wire, I swaged on a ring terminal on which I attach the wrist strap's alligator clip. I just plug the thing into a grounded wall receptacle or my UPS (surge protected side).

Actually there is an adapter that you can get that goes between the power cord and your PSU. It allows the ground wire to continue to the PSU but the other to wires are missing, it looks like a short 6" Extension cord but it is green. I think It is made by the company that makes the Power Strip Liberators, but I cant find there website at the moment.

Ah okay so just leave teh PSU connected, but switched off and comp off right?

Crap that means all this time I've been doing it wrong :( Hopefully didn't get any ESD damage :'(

Ah okay so just leave teh PSU connected, but switched off and comp off right?

Crap that means all this time I've been doing it wrong :( Hopefully didn't get any ESD damage :'(

I've never used an anti-static wristband in all the building and tinkering that I've done with my computer with no problems. I'm sure I'm not the only one to do this.

I've never used an anti-static wristband in all the building and tinkering that I've done with my computer with no problems. I'm sure I'm not the only one to do this.

Yea, I have always left the box plugged in and just touch the case before grabbing at components. Has worked well for me thus far. However, if I ever damage a component it will be time to buy a wristband.

$7 for a wristband is cheaper than most parts that go into a computer. If the part costs less than $7, it's probably immune to ESD. It all depends on where you want to spend your money. Why people get worked up over that last $7 for a wristband after spending $hundreds to $thousands is beyond me to understand.

$7 for a wristband is cheaper than most parts that go into a computer. If the part costs less than $7, it's probably immune to ESD. It all depends on where you want to spend your money. Why people get worked up over that last $7 for a wristband after spending $hundreds to $thousands is beyond me to understand.

i tend to walk around while working on a computer to grab different parts, wearing a wristband would just be kind of an annoyance. i always make sure i touch the metal of my case before touching anything and try to always keep contact with the case anyways for grounding.

i wear my wristband when soldering components and what not.

I do the same thing as plot and never had any issues.I have touched the case and felt a discharge though.

I just unsnap the wire from the wrist strap. Unsnap, walk somewhere, snap back in. It's a minor inconvenience.

If you've got a static mat with a wrist strap that snaps onto the mat, then ground the mat to your nearest wall outlet. Then laying your computer down on the mat, assuming at least some unpainted metal on the case touches the mat, will ground your computer.

When I walk away from my bench, I unsnap the cord from my wrist strap, and plug it in when I get back.

That only shows you've been lucky. It's your money - you takes your chances your way, I'll take mine my way. :)

How do you guys feel about these kind? I've had one that I bought way back (has normal elastic band instead of the fancy metal one, haha, and was way less money, like 7 bucks maybe) and I've used it many times without a problem. Have I just been lucky and believing in some sort of hoax? Or do they work just the same?

Back