• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

How to ground PSU grey wire.

unkletom

n00b
Joined
Aug 21, 2010
Messages
25
I got this old Compaq Ipaq mini-desktop. I cut off the cable of the PSU fan because they were too loud and now the computer won't boot. I am presuming the grey wire from PSU isn't giving a "power ok" signal to the motherboard.

I found these instructions on google:

> Cut the gray wire in half. That disconnects the Power_Good signal from
>> the PSU. Then, grab the half of the wire still connected to the motherboard.
>> Ground that end, which should pull down the signal on the motherboard.
>


How can I do this in a understandable language ? :)
 
How about you try reconnecting the fan first? I think it's unlikely that severing the fan connection would disrupt the power good signal. The PSU probably just has a protection that prevents it from running when there's no fan.
 
Those instructions are basically telling you to ground that connection on the motherboard. I have no insight into the particular system you're talking about, but from what it sounds like, that pin on the motherboard has a pull-up resistor. When the power supply is functioning correctly, it grounds that signal so the motherboard knows that power is good. So by manually grounding that signal on the motherboard, you're tricking it into thinking the power is good. One way to ground it would be to connect that motherboard pin to one of the black wires on any of the extra power supply connectors.

But as a previous poster mentioned, it might be that the power supply itself is not supplying any power as a built-in safety measure. In this case, manually grounding the motherboard power-good signal won't help.

Also, I wouldn't ground the PSU fan wire. That will most likely cause damage.
 
I agree with Zero82z. Before you go cutting up wires, plug the fan back in and see if it works.

You shouldn't be running the power supply without a fan anyways. Its meant to have a fan to keep it cool, without it, it could over heat and get damaged.
 
well the fan in my psu went out, i put a 3 pin on it and hooked it to my nzxt sentry id didnt work at all, but my psu worked, not to say that psu wouldnt work without one, but the psu should ground on the chassies and mobo the same
 
Back
Top