How to give FTP access to Apache server

biru32

Limp Gawd
I know I'll likely get a few RTFM replies, but I'm feeling lazy today and thought I would go straight to those who might know...YOU!

How can I give someone FTP access to my Apache server. They are not a LAN user. They would be considered WAN, outside, external, in a different city completely.

Thanks and please forgive my laziness today.

J.

biru32 said:
I know I'll likely get a few RTFM replies, but I'm feeling lazy today and thought I would go straight to those who might know...YOU!

How can I give someone FTP access to my Apache server. They are not a LAN user. They would be considered WAN, outside, external, in a different city completely.

Thanks and please forgive my laziness today.

J.

I use Serv-U and like it very much but it is for Windows and Commercial and you can also use IIS built into Windows.

For Linux errm.. don't know, but I'm sure there are many.

Basically, you cant do it with apache alone, you need to get an ftp server running, and then configure it to allow access to your apache htdocs directory.

SureFire said:
I use Serv-U and like it very much but it is for Windows and Commercial and you can also use IIS built into Windows.

For Linux errm.. don't know, but I'm sure there are many.
I like Serv-U too.

this is how I would do it....

lets say that your webserver files are hosted from the following dir on your server: /var/www/html

now what you will want to do is to download and install vsftpd on your server..... you might have to google for this if you are a linux noob. after you have this installed and you have your users setup in linux your will want to point vsftpd to share your web dir: /var/www/html

This is the basic idea behind this.... it might be a little bit more complicated than I made it seem because there is a whole lot more to configuring vsftpd than installing it.... if you google around you will find what you are looking for.

I hope tha tI could help

Enigma

Back