How to get an ASP website to talk to a JSP one

Arkangyl

Gawd
Preface: I've done some single-site programming in the past, mainly HTML and CSS stuff for personal sites, more recently I've been learning ASP (mostly in C#).

Now I've got a project on my hands where I need website A, which is written in ASP and hosted on a Windows box, to talk to website B, which is written in JSP and hosted via Tomcat on a Solaris box.

The ideal end result is for siteA to start a session with siteB, A sends a variety of addresses to B, B runs some tests on our intranet and then returns the results to A. In a perfect world A would be dynamically updating with the results, but that's another project.

So my question is: how can I pass data between an ASP website and a JSP one?

cliffs:
- have 2 websites, on in ASP, another in JSP
- need to send data between the two
- halp?

Thanks! got myself some light reading for the evening...

Still sorting out some of the ASP.* deltas... I had a class that dealt with *.aspx files and C# (ascx / .cs). The code I've been given for this project is all *.asp with VBScript in it along with some javascript. Lots of *.asp pages embedding other *.asp pages in them, neither pretty nor fast...

Other side is just an Apache Tomcat server, I need that end to call some localized scripting for testing.

however: web services look like they'll do what I need, thanks again!

Still sorting out some of the ASP.* deltas... I had a class that dealt with *.aspx files and C# (ascx / .cs). The code I've been given for this project is all *.asp with VBScript in it along with some javascript. Lots of *.asp pages embedding other *.asp pages in them, neither pretty nor fast..
ASP and ASP.Net are similar by name alone.

I don't know if I'd go THAT far. I mean, they are certainly related, and share some of the same syntax.
Syntax is just that, and nothing more. ASP is interpreted, ASP.Net is compiled. My statement is very much acceptable.

Edit: Semantics and syntax discussions should really exist in their own thread. For the sake of the OP, it's important that he/she understand that there are differences down to the core. Even a handful of VBScript-ish syntax is available in .Net, but this is mostly as a crutch and whose use should be deprecated in favor of using the (typically more performant) .Net methods.

Last edited:
Yep, did some reading and there's no confusion that ASP and ASP.net are different.

Still working out the code on howto get the two talk to each other...

As it stands now, the ASP server is POSTing data to the JSP server. A JSP page grabs the POST data, sends it to a PERL script and runs the tests.

Still trying to sort out how to get the results back to the ASP server though...

When you get things sorted out, I'd like to hear the approach you decided on and the reasons for that approach versus others you had evaluated.

Sounds like you need to write a web service in JSP and ASP.net. I've done ASP.net web services extensively, but haven't ever touched JSP. I really need to :(

So you're sending data to from A to B, processing it, then sending it from B to A? Why do you need to use JSP and ASP? What does the JSP server have that the ASP can't?

Back