How to flash BIOS without a floppy drive?

IQJUMPuw

Limp Gawd
Hey guys

I really need to update my motherboard BIOS but I don't have a floppy drive... I have bunch of disks but no drive. Is there anyway I can flash my BIOS without a floppy drive? Can I somehow do it with a CD instead?

A bootable cd is very easy to make with Nero, as pointed out. Just google for win 98 bootdisk and you should find everything you need.

Discounting Windows based flashing thee asiest way is with a USB drive of some kind, thumbdrives are awesome for this. Get yourself a cheapie 32MB one just for this kind of use.

Next easiest is making and using a bootable CD.

How do I do this with a usb flash drive? Put bootable windows files and mobo BIOS files there and start the computer? Where would I get the bootable windows files from?

God... I'm such a noob. T_T

Check to see if your manufacturer offers a way to flash in Windows. I just flashed an ASRock board that way last month, and yesterday I flashed an old Gigabyte board over the internet. Very cool... unless you happen to lose the connection in the middle of the flash; then you're screwed.

Dennis Gordon said:
Check to see if your manufacturer offers a way to flash in Windows. I just flashed an ASRock board that way last month, and yesterday I flashed an old Gigabyte board over the internet. Very cool... unless you happen to lose the connection in the middle of the flash; then you're screwed.

Mine doesn't :'(

i would also like to know how to boot from a USB drive to flash my shiznit.

Asus provide a utility CD with a BIOS update program that downloads it from the internet then flashes in Windows

Just create your self a bootable DOS CD.

It's easy and you don't have to get a USB flash drive or anything like that.

Don't update your BIOS in windows - i've heard bad things about that.

I just used winflash to flash my BIOS. It worked like a charm! I didn't know flashing BIOS was this easy. =)

IQJUMPuw said:
How do I do this with a usb flash drive? Put bootable windows files and mobo BIOS files there and start the computer? Where would I get the bootable windows files from?

God... I'm such a noob. T_T

HP has a usb flash driver program on their website, free for everyone. you can use it to make a bootable flash drive. it works for basically all flash drives, though a few don't work. but I used a generic 256mb mp3 player/flash drive from china, and it worked great.

just do a google search for HP usb flash drive program or something like that, you should find it, its pretty popular.

Back