How to Etch Plexiglass/Lexan??

Detman101

Limp Gawd
For the life of me I've searched between the forum and google for the past 10 (waking) hours and I can't find a definitive guide on how to etch plastic.

:confused:

Even if it's with a bloody Nail-file, someone has to know something!?

If nothing turns up I will post my failures and succeses with the "Nail-file and sandpaper" method.

Someone has to document something for the history of this board.

Not sure if it woudl work, but I'd think taping off a design and media blasting would work...

botld92z said:
Not sure if it woudl work, but I'd think taping off a design and media blasting would work...
Yep thats the way (low pressure though)

You can tape a design to the window, and use a Dremel Etching tool to etch the item on there. There are also companies that laser Etch items onto a window.

Just for fun I taped a piece of plexiglass and painted the backside with a light coat of plain silver spray paint (see thru) and it looks pretty nice.

Levell0rd said:
You can tape a design to the window, and use a Dremel Etching tool to etch the item on there. There are also companies that laser Etch items onto a window.

Dremel: I don't trust my self/skill with that and it may take far too long. Plus cost.

Company: Refuse to pay to have it done.

There is ALWAYS a homebrew solution that works effectively and cheaply.

botld92z said:

Apparently so.....But could you do it with sandpaper instead of blasting media?

http://guides.pcapex.com/modding/lokies_window_etching_technique.php

This reply is probably a little late but...

We did this in school w/ mirrors. You mask off the mirror w/ masking tape and draw/carbon paper your design. Take an x-acto knife and cut it out. Peel the tape off and sandblast. It actually works pretty well, just have to make sure your tape is fully sticking.

This worked on the front of the mirror for a snow type effect, so i'm assuming it should work for acrylic too... just dont blast too hard.

You could also check to see if the glass etching cream that they have at craft stores works on stuff like plexi. With that, it's just tape off, apply goo, wait, and wash. Worth looking into anyways.

uzor said:
You could also check to see if the glass etching cream that they have at craft stores works on stuff like plexi. With that, it's just tape off, apply goo, wait, and wash. Worth looking into anyways.

good idea!!!

I bought one from a site I can no longer find. It's a picture of an F-15 EAGLE with an American eagle, and flag in the background. It glows under UV light. I seem to remember that they will do any design so long as it's not copyrighted. Sorry it's been a while and can't remember which site.

Detman101 said:
Dremel: I don't trust my self/skill with that and it may take far too long. Plus cost.

Company: Refuse to pay to have it done.

There is ALWAYS a homebrew solution that works effectively and cheaply.

For a professional looking job, I can spare the $15-$20 it would cost me to have it laser etched.

Levell0rd said:
For a professional looking job, I can spare the $15-$20 it would cost me to have it laser etched.

And also the time that your case will not have a side panel?
Even the best delivery times take a weeks turnaround.
:(

I replied in my work log, and honestly it really isnt any harder than tracing. I would get a scrap piece of plexi and try it before you go looking some where else.

Detman101 said:
And also the time that your case will not have a side panel?
Even the best delivery times take a weeks turnaround.
:(

You're joking right? Who fucking cares if your side panel is off for a week or two.
-PHiZ

PHiZ said:
You're joking right? Who fucking cares if your side panel is off for a week or two.
-PHiZ

The Casepolice! The go around to homes and see if your case window is on. That is a big fine parking your case with no window. :D

vile_asid said:
I replied in my work log, and honestly it really isnt any harder than tracing. I would get a scrap piece of plexi and try it before you go looking some where else.

Thank you. I will do just that and practice on a scrap piece of plexi.

PHiZ said:
-PHiZ
How about my 2 year old and 3 cats?

Detman10 said:
To get the frosted effect, what is the correct grit sandpaper to use?
The finer the sandpaper, the smoother the look. Get a scrap piece and practice until you find a finish you like.

uzor said:
The finer the sandpaper, the smoother the look. Get a scrap piece and practice until you find a finish you like.

Awesome, I will start with 1500 grit and try out the effect on a scrap piece of plexi.
Thanks for the advice.
:)

Right. With perfection comes time. There are always two evils. Speed... Quality...

You can try frosting a design into a plastic window with fine masking tape and a thinner. Nail polish remover is a sure fire method because it has lots of solvents in it- one is bound to work. Liquid proofing the rest of the surface of your window apply the thinner to the stencil with a fine sponge or shammy. You could also do it like I did with a short, white-clay wall built around the stencil on the masking tape and use the sponge to gently soak up the liquid. Leave under a lamp to dry, rinse with water, and then peel the masking tape off.

Inverting the effect is obvious.

It works amazingly well and can be executed for under $10. Of course I recommend you practice on some other smooth plastic before you go wasting a window. ;)

velusip said:
You can try frosting a design into a plastic window with fine masking tape and a thinner. Nail polish remover is a sure fire method because it has lots of solvents in it- one is bound to work. Liquid proofing the rest of the surface of your window apply the thinner to the stencil with a fine sponge or shammy. You could also do it like I did with a short, white-clay wall built around the stencil on the masking tape and use the sponge to gently soak up the liquid. Leave under a lamp to dry, rinse with water, and then peel the masking tape off.

Inverting the effect is obvious.

It works amazingly well and can be executed for under $10. Of course I recommend you practice on some other smooth plastic before you go wasting a window. ;)

Whoa!! I had no idea that Nail Polish Remover would etch Plexiglass!!! :eek:
I've got some of that at home already too! Awesome!

Do you think I could use that blue "Painters Tape" to mask off the areas I don't want to get the Nail Polish Remover on? I just need to make sure that the Painters Tape stays put when I add the Nail Polish Remover to the Plexi.

My method would be as follows:

-Cover plexi with Blue painters tape.
-Stencil my design onto the painters tape.
-Cut out the design leaving the tape behind on areas I don't want etched.
-Dab in the thinner/nail-polish-remover onto the exposed areas of plexi.
-Let dry under a lamp.
-Rinse with water
-Remove Painters Tape.

Well, after practicing with the Dremel Tool with etching tips...I've determined that being married with a kid will not work for completing this project within the rest of this year. :(

I, literally, would get 2 mm before the wife or kid would interrupt me. :mad:

Sooooo....I went out at lunch today and got some of the Frosted Glass spray paint from the crafts store. :(

I don't know how much better it will come out but that is my only option besides using the etching cream they also sold.

I will post the results of my foray into the painting of the Acrylic if and when I get it done.

Back