How to easily clear active directory domain settings to use outside wifi / wired lan?

dabomb

2[H]4U
So anytime I take a laptop out of my job, which uses a windows 2000 server based domain, all attempts to access the web will fail when connected to any wifi or wired network.

If you go hunting through the registry you can delete references to our dns server and domain name until web connections go through.

When doing an ipconfig, our domain name appears under Primary Dns Suffix and #1 on the DNS Suffix Search List (does this matter?)

Is there an app or util to easily clear these settings, or something we can do to prevent having to spend 10mins deleting keys out of the registry? We don't define anything other that WSUS settings in the Active Directory settings, so I'm unsure as to why we even have this problem.

help!

Ask your company's network admin. They will be up to date on the company policy regarding this, and have the technical knowledge needed to do it.

Ask your company's network admin. They will be up to date on the company policy regarding this, and have the technical knowledge needed to do it.

They are clueless as to why it happens, and just do the registry thing if someone brings a loaner to them saying it didn't work for them(which is good % of the time). They outsource helpdesk, and just have a DBA and IT manager running the network(just barely, they are both overloaded). I help them out part time where I can, so I have pretty in depth knowledge of the network setup. If I were to point them in the right direction they could probably fix the problem(assuming there is one server side). I just thought maybe there was some type of app that could fix this(clear all domain related network settings), as a simple ipconfig /flushdns does nothing.

We all thought the same thing, that these values must be pushed by active directory, but as I said the only setting they have modified for the policy is date & time WSUS installs updates, thats it.

edit: I had one of the helpdesk guys work all day on a ticket i submitted to them about this problem, and they came up with no solution. They reinstalled my OS....which didn't do a damn thing other than annoy me, so I gave up on them.

Probably just need to uncheck the proxy server. Tools, internet options, lan settings.

#1 Talk to management and have them either hire real tech to work on your network, or find a better outsource company! I am not trying to be mean, but I looked at this post and thought of all my freinds who had been outsourced, and the issues we have had concerning this. It just makes me not want to reply, because now I am promiting this kind of behavior. If the company cant feel the pain then they will never learn. Basicaly they are getting free help by you posting on a message board, which will probably be better than what they are paying for.

#2 Have you tried a repair on your connection? Open properities of network select adapter right click and select Repair.

#3 The suffix search Order is typicaly not critical. it realy only effects you when you use simple names. i.e. if your machine cant find a responce to foobar.primary.dns.suffix it will then try foobar.first.dns.in.suffix.searchlist and then foobar.second.dns.is.suffix.searchlist. foobar being athe simple name if you used it as such.

I am not that great at AD (I am a network (switches/routers)) type of person, but I do get my hands in it once in a while.. There should be someone better than I here that can better help you concerning AD.

Back