How to: Dual monitor Movies on an ATI card

xphantg0d

Gawd
I have been using dual CRTs for a while and like so many others, who have posted here numerous times, I was wondering if I could watch a movie in wide screen across both monitors. I am running Windows XP and I have a ATI Radeon 9600 and was told there is currently no way to do it. Of course I tried and ran into the problem of the video only showing on one monitor or the other. I will spare you the stories of some of the things I tried to do along the way but here is how I got it to work.

A month or 2 ago I downloaded the VLC media player (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) and while watching some episodes of red vs. blue I discovered the built in video "clone" feature which creates another windows with the movie in it. If you want to clone a movie this is an easy way to do it, move one to each screen and double click each to full screen them. If you try to move the video to the middle as usual only half of it will show. So I realized If I have 2 copies of the movie perfectly synchronized and moved both to the middle each shows half and together I get a whole.

<instructions>
Get VLC media player and open it. Click Settings -> Preferences click video and under the filter module select "clone video filter". Open a movie (it needs to be a wide screen movie w/o the black bars on the top or bottom). You should see 2 windows with the same thing on each drag one to the top left corner of the left screen and the other to the top right of the right screen. You then take the window on the left and stretch it out across both monitors but make sure that its over to the left enough that the video only shows on the left monitor (the other half of the box should be black as usually happens). Then take the other window repeat the process so its spread across both with the movie only showing on the right. At this point either A. they have melded into one wide screen movie! or B. they may be overlapping so you can only see the right side but if you switch back and forth between the 2 windows a few times they sort of meld into one wide screen copy of the movie!
</instructions>

Its not perfect, each screen displays a little more than half the movie so it sort of doubles in the middle. Also If you have dual CRTs like me your stuck with a 2 inch white bar in the middle of it. Anyway if you have dual monitors and have wanted to do this give it a try I am pretty happy it worked and will be watching all my movies like this.

If you have any questions about this I will try to answer them the best I can. I will also try to find my camera and get a picture of it running since I cant take a screenshot of it.

[email protected]

Use the UltraMon software, it's designed to do what you're looking for ...ine one click, and displaying perfectly what's needed :cool:

LKM said:
Use the UltraMon software, it's designed to do what you're looking for ...ine one click, and displaying perfectly what's needed :cool:
I have ultramon but what do you mean in one click it will display whats needed?

I also have UltraMon and that I am aware of you cannot span one movie across two screens.

Puterguru said:
I also have UltraMon and that I am aware of you cannot span one movie across two screens.
If you read the above I was telling you how to display a movie across 2 screens, but I dont know of a way for ultramon to do this.

Back