how to disable always open folder on removeable drive?

Ruckus

Hardforum Moderator-in-Chief
Staff member
I have a bit of a problem that when i plug in an ipod on a particular computer that it always opens the ipod as a folder automatically. Needless to say the way itunes connects and disconnects the ipod each song this is quite annoying that the folder keeps popping up. How do i disable the auto popup of the folder for viewing? I cant seem to figure it out.

In Vista's control panel click "Autoplay" go to the selection that says "Audio files" towards the bottom(not cd audio), and change the setting to "take no action", save and exit. That should fix it for you.

You can also just disable autoplay altogether, in either Vista or Xp, to get rid of the annoyance. I have considered autoplay and annoyance since Win95.

In Vista's control panel click "Autoplay" go to the selection that says "Audio files" towards the bottom(not cd audio), and change the setting to "take no action", save and exit. That should fix it for you.

You can also just disable autoplay altogether, in either Vista or Xp, to get rid of the annoyance. I have considered autoplay and annoyance since Win95.

Sorry its win XP Pro, but i did that and it didnt help. Its not even showing the music in the folder, its just showing a blank folder when it pops open.

Autoplay... its how Sony installed rootkits on people's computers. :p

I use the registry to disable AutoRun. http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/1142/

I will try this to see if it helps. My guess is that the first time an ipod was installed on this computer someone accidently selected the "Always open file for viewing" option when it prompted him what to do like it does for me every time i plug a jumpdrive in my computer. So im guessing this is what i need to figure out how to disable.

Back