how to direct file transfer when using dual nics?

Thuleman

Supreme [H]ardness
I am sure this has been asked and answered before, but browsing some topics and a search didn't turn up a satisfactory answer (of course that is a function of the search terms used, but anyway).

I have two computers, both have dual GB NICs, both are connected to the LAN which is 100Mb.

I need to frequently transfer large amounts of data between those two machines, so I figured to use the unused NIC of each machine to set up a private subnet and just run a crossover cable between them.

My question is, how can I make sure that any files I transfer actually take this shortcut, rather than go out on the 100Mbit network, to the router room, and back into my office?

Is that even possible with my current setup, or do I need to disconnect one of the machines from the LAN?

Thanks in advance.

Without knowing the OS vague direction is all I can offer.
Set static route.

Thuleman said:
My question is, how can I make sure that any files I transfer actually take this shortcut, rather than go out on the 100Mbit network, to the router room, and back into my office?.

GigE cards don't need crossover cables, at least my NetGears don't.
I just set an ip for the 2 cards, shared the directory, mapped the drives using the IP of the GigE cards and that was it.
I also have Samurize set to monitor the GigE and 10/100 so i can see the speed that I am getting and if it's using the right nic.
In the Bandwidth Boxes, Green is GigE and Red is 10/100

samurize_giga.jpg
samurize_mega.jpg

Back