• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How to determine which setup is less slow?

limitedaccess

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
May 10, 2010
Messages
7,592
This is more of a comparison of turtles but...

I currently have a WD5000aaks (500gb) short stroked to 300gb as my main drive. It has the OS, page file, and applications (including games) on it. Other data is stored on other drives.

I have a wd10ears (1tb) sitting around (from what I understand I need to adjust the idle head parking if i use this as an OS drive). What is the best way to determine which drive is faster (or less slow haha) as a primary HD? HD Tune? But which numbers are most important?

Better yet should I split everything over both drives? Maybe sell both and convert that to a single faster 7200rpm drive?

Right now SSDs for the size I require aren't in the price range I am willing to pay (given their brand).
 
Early EARS had horrible small files performance (I have one of those), and are green drives anyway, so no need to test, keep the 7200rpm drive. Or get a 64GB SSD and learn to manage like a lot of us did/do.
 
I guess I will consider selling both and moving to a Caviar Black or 7k1000.

I've been looking into a SSD, but larger sized ones at 120gb+. I considered a 64gb SSD before, but after awhile it seemed like that would be way to small.
 
Back
Top