How to determine what network activity is preventing sleep?

klepp0906

Gawd
So after DAAAYS of troubleshooting, i did what i should have done first.

Disabled my ethernet adapter. PC will now sleep. (it would sleep fine manually, but wouldnt go to sleep on its own).

I thought it was my nvidia shieldtv's doing something over the network that kept it awake, but i turned those both off and the pc still will only sleep when i disable the network adapter.

Turning off "allow this device to wake the computer" would be a workaround, except I need Wake on Lan to function so thats no bueno.

Plus this was never an issue until the last month or so. Something has changed.

Anybody able to point me in the right direction?

worth mentioning - if i disable the nic, and use wifi instead - result is the same. If i use wifi but use my phone as a hotspot, it will sleep.

this point to anything in particular?

ok NOW im a little closer.

I disabled ALL my network shares, and it went to sleep. Unfortunately - disabling network shares is a fail since this pc is the main pc.

how does one get it to sleep irrespective of network shares?

found this on another forum from way back when (with no solution given) that is a different OS but describes the same exact problem with what sounds like a plausible explanation as when I ended the shared drives, it said id be booting 1 user, which would likely have been the pc next to me.

Heres the post
"Looking more into Server 2003, it looks like there is a Session being created when my Windows 7 computer connects via mapped network that doesn't get closed when not being used"

So how can one force the session(s) to terminate when not being used?

i "think" i got it.

cant check for certain yet because windows search indexer decided to do its thing and is now preventing sleep lol.

My USB stick holds miscellaneous stuff. One of those items being icons for various shortcuts I use. My other running pc insta connected to that USB stick in order to use that same icon for a shortcut over the network as opposed to locally.

I "assume" thats what did it. My gosh some times these problems put you through the ringer. A normal human would just resort to putting the pc to sleep when their done with it.

Not this savage ocd animal.

Back