how to delet XP parition

sh0gun

Weaksauce
i had 2 hard drives one with XP and the other with nothing, i installed vista on the second in a dual boot., now i need the space on the first HD and dont need XP anymore. How do i delet XP, using disk mamegment doesnt work (active system or somthing).

so how do i get rid of XP without loosing anything on vista?

Simple way- just format the XP drive. That is, of course, as long as you don't have anything on it that you don't need anymore.

I assume (though maybe I shouldn't) that you're trying to format the XP drive from within Vista, correct?

Chances are, you're going to have to repair your Vista install, as the boot info is probably located on the XP drive.

A repair only fixes the boot problem...the data is left intact.

For that matter, for a more visceral repair path, you could boot off of the DVD and go into the Vista equivalent of the "recovery console" (can't remember offhand how they call it but I know I've used it). From there, you can fix the boot record, format the other drive, and all of that fun.

(I think I'm just unlucky...trying the nice automatic repair function never quite worked right for me with XP, but getting my hands dirty worked. Of course, that was then - I could find the Vista repair to be a completely different experience, and only my obstinance is preventing me from enjoying those changes...)

Back