How to create my own ftp-server?

oqvist

[H]F Junkie
How do I achieve this. If I want to exchange files with my brother. Don´t want it to be public or anything.

I got a broadband connection. I don´t need any webspace from my internet provider since all the files are on my computer right?

as long as the data exchanged is limited you probably wont get flagged, however most terms of service preclude a server
(of course any P2P program is exactly the same thing :p being both a client and a server)

you simply install an FTP server software package
and your brother a client

server
client

dont know what is considered the best of either these days
in the paid or freeware category

how do i do this behind a dlink di-604 router, i have tried countless times and nothing seems to work

Originally posted by Blasterboy460
how do i do this behind a dlink di-604 router, i have tried countless times and nothing seems to work

Did you forward the correct ports>

stupendous is right, does your router support Port Forwarding? If so, have port 21 forward to the computer that is Hosting the Files and has the ftp server.

After that, you can either use a ftp client or just IE. Then just conect to the server's Internal IP address, supply your username and password (always secure it with restrictions or a password).

My school uses CuteFTP and they don't mind it.

Ive also heard good things about FileZilla, a free program (how can you beat free) which can be found on sourceforge or a quick altavista search.

I got a broadband connection. I don´t need any webspace from my internet provider since all the files are on my computer right?
Correct!

The only problem is, im not sure if this will be ONLY intranet (as opposed to internet). People from the internet may be able to connect to your ftp server, depending on what your router and/or software can do (whether it allows you to assign it a internal IP address or if it must be the external).

If it IS open to the internet, then make sure you set-up a password and RESTRICTIONS, such as only the admin can add files and/or edit/delete. Common internet security is important, plus a firewall and Anti-virus ^_^.

~hope this helps

My IP adress is automatically configured. Does this means I will get a new one for every time I logon my computer or? How do I check my IP-adress? I have no limit whatsoever so that won´t be a problem. However the IP-adress may be?

Originally posted by oqvist
My IP adress is automatically configured. Does this means I will get a new one for every time I logon my computer or? How do I check my IP-adress? I have no limit whatsoever so that won´t be a problem. However the IP-adress may be?

I would give your ISP a call and just ask them, "hello, is my IP address static or dynamic". They should be able to tell you.

if you "dial up", then chances are you will get a new IP address each time you logon.

Another way to tell your ip address is to check your router firmware (read your documentation to see how to get into this).

Or if you are using windows you can use a program to tell you some info.

Pre windows 2000 uses winipcfg, so goto run and type in winipcfg and there will be alot of info about this.

in 2000+ you can goto your control panel and network connections and view your local area network info.
Or
you can goto the command prompt and in it type "ipconfig /all" without the quotes.
Just note, most of this information will display your Internal statistics... if you are behind a router.

If you and your brother are behind the same router then you wouldn't have to expose the ftp server to the internet. Simply don't forward any ports. Once the server is set up on your computer he can type in the local ip address assigned by the router to access the ftp server. Most routers use 192.168.x.x. In order to access it via internet explorer type ftp:// before the ip address. Hope this helps.

okay so can I connect to my self to see if it´s working? I am experimenting a bit with the bulletproof ftp :)

Back