How to convert ipod songs to mp3 format?

Rob94hawk

2[H]4U
I remember hearing about a program that converted ipod songs to mp3 format. Anyone? Trying to do a search but no luck.

What do you mean by iPod songs? You mean songs you buy with iTunes? Would be illegal as far as I know. Bypassing copy-protection, no?

You mean songs you buy with iTunes? Would be illegal as far as I know. Bypassing copy-protection, no?

This is correct.... however, if you are asking how to convert aac files, that you legally converted to aac format, or imported into iTunes in aac format... you can easily find converters... a simple Google search is all you need, there are many. I am not going to recommend one because I have no need for such software, therefore I have no experience with any of them.

SoundTaxi I think is the one a lot of people use. Its not free though (as I remember).

Look in the freeware thread at my post on Super.

It doesn't say anything on converting ipod tunes to mp3.

Unfortunately my daughters drive is running out of space with all of the itunes she has and she almost lost them trying to move them so I rather just convert them to mp3 and put them on another drive.

I've used iTunes before, but never needed to move the songs. You can't move the iTunes music folder and still have iTunes play the songs? Why do they have to be in mp3 format?

she almost lost them trying to move them so I rather just convert them to mp3 and put them on another drive.

What difference will having them in mp3 format make? It's not going to change anything, as far as moving them goes. Just copy the entire iTunes music folder and move it over to another drive, and once that's successfully done go back and remove the original folder. You will need to re-direct iTunes so it knows where to find the files, but that's about all you'll need to do.

What I do, and I don't see how it can be illegal since iTunes DOES IT for me, is just burn the songs to CD. Once written to CD there is no more DRM. Techincally iTunes itself bypasses the DRM when it burns DRM free copies of the songs to CD. At that point you can rip the CD to MP3 with almost any media software.

It's a pain in that you loose all the tag info and have to manually enter it, unless you do entire albums that is.

It seems to me that if anything is in viloation of the DMCA it's iTunes for allowing you to burn CD's of DRM material.... no??

You can burn the songs to a CD, then rip said songs from the CD into mp3 format.

Edit : didn't see the poster 2 above said the same thing. Yes it is frustrating that iTUNES allows you to bypass content protection this way, and yet doesn't allow you to do the same thing in a more efficent way.

I would go so far as to say, get rid of iTUNES. Anapod manger allows you to do, what I believe is defined under fair use laws, without having to deal with apple bullshit.

The most recent MaxPC has an article on it, and they use something called QTFairUse6.

Fair Use...that's funny...in a day and age where the DMCA exists, fair use is all but dead.

Back