How to control fans via water temp...

FireBean

Gawd
Hello all. I'm looking for a solution to my current predicament. I would like to control all my fans based on water temperature. Is there a hardware solution for this that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I want it to ramp up the fan when the suppurate of the water increases. Normally, I would just have the motherboard control the fan via CPU temp, but the problem is that it cannot seem to do this, even when only one RPM sensor is hooked up. What will work? I'm looking at a max of 25A total current.

25A? That's a lot. That's 300w worth of fans?

I'd think that something from the pwm area of frozen CPU would work. $30 for 30w of control.

it depends on what you're definition of 'arm and a leg' is.

i believe the Aquaero 5 controllers will do what you want (map thermal diode to preselected fan profile).

there a a few different flavours of the Aquaero 5 fan controller ranging from a display-less unit to a full LCD display, touch screen buttons and IR remote control. prices are between $100 - $200. you can control your system fans via the LCD display (for those units with it) but using the accompanying software is much better to create custom profiles.

i have the aquaero 5 XT with a water temp sensor connected tho i haven't linked the fans to this diode. currently using a static fan RPM profile tho i'll be changing that once my system is complete.

You may also want to consider the mCubed bigNG, as well as the Koolance TMS200/205 series - go for the newer 205 series, it supports the more common series NCT thermistors.

If you are running Windows 2008 R2 though,forget the Koolance, no support - as I found to m dismay after having purchased it for my Blackbird setup.

I am using the bigNG on the same R2 in my Macho Mini system though, and it perfroms very well.

BUt, as a few have mentioned, there always is the Aquaero 5's, in various incarnations, so you will find something that will be to your liking.

You may also want to consider the mCubed bigNG, as well as the Koolance TMS200/205 series - go for the newer 205 series, it supports the more common series NCT thermistors.

If you are running Windows 2008 R2 though,forget the Koolance, no support - as I found to m dismay after having purchased it for my Blackbird setup.

I am using the bigNG on the same R2 in my Macho Mini system though, and it perfroms very well.

BUt, as a few have mentioned, there always is the Aquaero 5's, in various incarnations, so you will find something that will be to your liking.

Aside from the Koolance, do all the other units work OK on Win 7? Any of them work OK under some flavor of Linux?

Aside from the Koolance, do all the other units work OK on Win 7? Any of them work OK under some flavor of Linux?

can only speak for the aquaero 5 (aquasuite 2012) runs fine on win7 (2 version - 32bit & 64bit). there is one piece of software for linux on the aquacomputer support (download) page tho not sure if able to use it to control the aquaero 5.
http://aquacomputer.de/software.html

you can head over to the english forum;
http://forum.aquacomputer.de/weitere-foren/board8-english-forum/
if you're interested in the aquaero stuff.

I use the Aquaero 5 LT stuff myself - works like a charm controlling fan speed based upon water temps, etc... Not exactly cheap - but is certainly getting the job done.

One note - for the LT - make sure you get at least the heatsink for the fan controllers (I actually got the waterblock) without it - well, kept getting too hot (then again, 7-8 high draw 120mm fans was probly pushing it for no HS - hehe)

Heya Mate,
Just to clarify, the Koolance works well on W7 32+64, just not on Win Server 2008 R2.....soz forthe confusion. bigNG works well on all flavors though.

Cannot speak for Aqauero though ;)

Thanks for all the help you guys. The Aquaro is a little outside of my budget. My problem is my motherboard cannot control a 3pin fan. Only PWMs. Now, I have looked at the bigNG and that too is outside of my budget, but what about the mini? It seems that it can control the fans based on CPU load and since I only have 6850's on water, they don't really get all that hot.

I am also looking at this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...trollers+/+Panels+-+etc.-_-Sunbeam-_-11995075

It only $30 and I have shop runner, so free shipping. Does anyone have any experience with it?

LOL I have 16 fans running in my Caselabs TH10. There is no amount of digital fan control that Iwould want to use for me. I just use some Scythe Q12 action. But my case is quieter than most people with 2 fans running. Its insane.

OP the Aquero units or however you spell them are nice. I used to have one but I lost it moving.

Back