how to connect Microsoft Windows Storage Server 2003 to Novell Netware 6.5

DESmack

Weaksauce
Hi,

I have never used Novel before but I need to figure this problem out.

I need figure out how to connect Microsoft Windows Storage Server 2003 to Novell Netware 6.5. The shares will come from Windows but how do I manage the security and login scripts for this from Novell Directory Services? I was thinking DIR XML possibly? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

The question is pretty lite on details and I have never tried to integrate a windows server into a Novell envrionment, but I'll reply anyway. :D

The two things that come to mind I would look at would be installing eDirectory on the Windows box or using DirXML to sync accounts between NDS and AD. Of course I'm making all sorts of assumptions, but my thinking is that the first option may allow the management of the servers resources directly through eDir (I've never installed eDir on Windows, so I really dont know how it behaves). The DirXML idea would let you sync accounts and then manage the windows shares as you normally would.

Are you trying to get interoperability between two existing systems or is this windows box a new addition to an existing Novell environment?

Frobozz,

Thank you for your reply. The server is a new nas running hp storage works windows 2003, so no AD is available... I am a Novell novice.. but from my reading today I gathered that I would need to do some sort of account replication. But unconfirmed...

The server is running Netware 6.5. I installed the 'File and print services for Netware 5.02' but I am not sure if it installed properly as the FPDN did not come up in the control panel. However I did get the novell options tabs in the properties of user accounts.. The manual for that said that all I needed to do was to set up a share that is for Novell clients... but when I set up the share I could not select anything like that… I would only get a windows share… Hence another reason that makes me think that it did not install correctly.

Ideally what I would like to do is have the windows shares presented to the Novell server and have the 'space' available in anyway it sees fit. I don’t want to have to duplicate user accounts...(2000+) I would prefer that the servers authenticate between themselves.. and then the Novell users don’t know what is going on.. except there is more available space..

Cheers,

I'm curious, why not load it up with Netware 6.5 or OES (Linux) and then manage the space through NSS?

Ideally what I would like to do is have the windows shares presented to the Novell server and have the 'space' available in anyway it sees fit.
Although another topic I have no real experience with :p - Perhaps you could setup an iSCSI Target on the windows box and then the iSCSI Initiator on the Netware box and then the Netware box should treat it as local storage. Someone who has done iSCSI might be able to say more about what's involved or if it's possible, but from what I've read it seems like it might be what you want.

Fun problem though. :D

Back