• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How to connect 2 SAS Expanders

pablocool

n00b
Joined
Feb 27, 2018
Messages
12
Hi I have MegaRAID LSI 9265-8i card and two SAS Expanders IBM (Lenovo) 03X3834 and 19 3TB disks.
Question is how to properly connect two SAS Expanders to this MegaRAID card?
If I just connect one cable from MegaRAID to first SAS Expander and second cable to second SAS Expander every time I boot system I see such message:
Code:
All of the disks from your previous configuration are gone. If this is an unexpected message, then please power off your system and check your cables to ensure all disks are present. Press any key to continue, or 'C' to load the configuration utility.
I discovered I need to immediately reset system and now magically all disks and virtual drive are detected. I thought it may be some disk failing and not being able to spin up. But then I discovered that if I connect all disks over one SAS Expander (no matter which of those two, so both are fine) then issue is gone. So what may be the problem with using two sas expanders simultaneously?
Do I need to connect them to MegaRAID card in some special way?
Maybe I should connect them cascade or some redundant way?
 
Last edited:
Some dual or quad connector SAS DAS systems have a delay on the drives on the 2nd channel to prevent the enumeration of all the drives at once (e.g. Supermicro enclosures with SAS expanders). Not sure if that's part of the expander or the power on firmware.
 
Maybe there is limitation that disks within same virtual drive cannot be under two SAS Expanders. However I havent found such in manuals.
 
Back
Top