How to confirm I have the latest chipset drivers?

MISMCSA

2[H]4U
I have a Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H motherboard, which is the 890GX chipset.

I installed all the avaible chipset drivers for my board from gigabyte's site, as well as the latest Cat 10.8s (which someone said contain the chipset driver). i needed to install those anyway since I have a 5770.

The question on whether I didn't have the latest drivers, arose when I ran SISoft Sandra, and it reported my chipset model as "AMD RS780 Host Bridge Alternate" and Disk Controller as "AMD SB700". This could be a SiSoft reporting interpretation issue, but i expected to see AMD 890 and SB850 respectively.

Any cause for alarm?

Is it possible to have an 8 series chip, but with s 7 series driver installed, thus causing it to be recognized as a 7 series by sandra?

If you installed the catalyst suite then you have the latest. I would guess sandra needs to be updated with the new chipset info.

I wouldn't worry about it.

You could try CPUZ to confirm. I don't have an 800 series board anymore or I'd check mine.

Generally when it comes to 'chipset' drivers, they typically are only speaking of things like your scsi/sata bus, lan, audio, etc. I don't know if a 'chipset driver' that patches over Windows provided usb, pci, acpi, etc bus drivers (except for Nvidia chipset drivers that provide an SMbus driver).

To verify the latest versions of these, open your Device Manager and open the device and check that driver tab. Usually comparing the release data on there to what it says on the site is the easiest way. If you want more details, sometimes sites provide details of driver version numbers and you can compare those.

Back