How to configure an access point in my network ?

Mixman

Gawd
I have a D-Link DIR-655 which is my main router. I noticed in mixed(N & G) mode my speed takes a hit. I want to leave it in N mode all the time but I have an HP 7410 printer that only operates in G. I want to use either my Belkin pre -N or Netgear WNR834B as access points. I figured I could leave the DIR-655 in N mode and have one of the other routers act as an access point, but work in mixed mode so that my printer can pick up the signal. I want my main signal and internet connection on the Dlink, for fastest possible speeds.

Is this possible ? If so, How do I go about configuring the access point to be seen on my network ?

In that situation where you want you printer to only connect to the second access point...I'd make that second access point a different SSID than your primary 655. Good to give it a different channel too.

The other router(access point) does have a different SSID and channel, but when I am connected to my main router the Dlink I cannot print. On the other hand, when I am connected to the Netgear (which the printer is linked up to) it does print.

I turned off the DHCP on my Netgear router, but I still cannot print from it. I did sync up the printer HP7410 with it , but it will not print from it. It will only print from the main router the DIR-655. Any ideas on how to make this work ?

you turned off DHCP, but how do you have the routers physically connected? You must go from Lan port to Lan port - I'm guessing you're conencted Lan to Wan right now.

Other than that, see what IP address you have on both devices. (via command prompt - ipconfig) You may even need to reboot or do ipconfig /refresh then ipconfig /renew in order to get a new IP.

you have to make sure the 2nd router is on the same ip

main router should be like 192.168.1.1 so you wanna configure the 2nd router to be 192.168.1.2

turn off dhcp, attach from lan to lan port, make different ssid, whatever, give printer manual ip 192.168.1.200

plug it all in and try to ping from main machine on the dlink router, try to ping 2nd router, try to ping printer

Back