How to clean LCD Moniters?

Dynafrom

Gawd
Joined
May 28, 2006
Messages
628
I had have searched on google but there are many conflicting ways of cleaning LCD moniters. Whats the best way to clean them without damage?
 
50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and water. Dab on lightly with a soft towel and wipe off.
 
mjz_5 said:
i use a tissue and Windex.. ghetto i know, but it works
***BZZZZRT*** Hold it right there!

Windex contains ammonia, which can fog/rub off the coating of the LCD screen. It's not like it's "if" it will happen, but more like "when". NEVER USE WINDEX!

Try regular (soft) water and a cotton cloth if you need to, but a microfiber works wonders. I would be wary with the rubbing alcohol, it can fog plastics if you get the "right" combination of alcohol/plastic. If not, you're fine, but why mess around?

To be safe, stick with water or a pro cleaning solution.
 
:eek: Thanks for the tip about Windex. I never used it on my LCD before, but I've stopped my mom just in time from cleaning it with windex. Water is good enuf for me.
 
Sam's Club sells one time use Zeiss lens cloths for LCDs/glasses/TVs, etc. Bought a two pack today, pretty good. It's just isopropyl alcohol..but not as wet as the usual alcohol wipes, pretty big, 90 pretty decent sized individual sheets per box. Worth the $9 for 180 total(two pack).
 
I bought the TV display cleaning kit that Monster has off eBay. Its the same thing as the one they sell for LCD's except the bottle is a lot bigger and it comes with a large towel. I'm not so sure a lot of Alcohol is good for an LCD because on this Monster screen cleaning kit it says "New Alcohol Free Formula".
 
I use a microfiber cloth + Klear Screen.

Oh, and Ammonia is a weak base, which is why its bad for your screen I guess.
 
aznx said:
Sam's Club sells one time use Zeiss lens cloths for LCDs/glasses/TVs, etc. Bought a two pack today, pretty good. It's just isopropyl alcohol..but not as wet as the usual alcohol wipes, pretty big, 90 pretty decent sized individual sheets per box. Worth the $9 for 180 total(two pack).

I got the lens cleaner kit from Sam's. A big bottle of lens cleaner that's safe for all coatings and a few microfiber cloths. It's great because they have unlimited free refills on them. Also if you ask you can get extra free microfiber lens cloths every time you go in there. You should see the stash I've got...
 
Wal*Mart carries a kit made by Philips used to clean LCD tvs. Works great on mine! Not sure if they still got it though, worth looking. Came in a blue bottle with a microfibre cloth.
 
Back
Top