• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

How to clean Intel NB?

evilnickwong

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 11, 2003
Messages
120
The other time I removed my stock NB heatsink on my P4P800, there was all this white stuff that felt like bubble gum.
I rubbed and rubbed with Qtips and some isopropyl alcohol, but some of it was just so stubborn. I ended up peeling it away using tweezers.

Obviously, there's still alot of residue left behind. How do I go about getting it shiny again? Is Goo Gone OK to use for heatsinks and such?
 
I use a razor blade to remove the "gum" and then alchool and a towel or if needed I sand the NB back to original state. Then I put some artic silver in there.
 
Use acetone to remove the residue, works great, leaves no residue behind itself and can be found at any corner hardware store. :)
 
Originally posted by MajorDomo
Use acetone to remove the residue, works great, leaves no residue behind itself and can be found at any corner hardware store. :)

agreed, acetone is my cleaner of choice. The gum stuff used on those heatsinks are still pretty bad... it'll take you quite a few Qtips, and then i'd lap it slightly if it were uneven.
 
Originally posted by evilnickwong
Whats acetone? Is it nail polish remover? Sounds like it. :)

acetone is what makes nail polish remover nail polish remove ;P

The only real difference is that nail polish remover sometimes has fragrances or water in it so it's not so nasally offensive :D

Should work in a pinch, just wipe down afterwards with some rubbing alcohol (higher purity isopropyl [rubbing] is preferred)
 
Call it weird but it works: WD40 removes all sorts of sticky stuff, though it dosent evaporate as cleanly (requires some washing afterwords)
 
Back
Top