How to clean install Windows 10 directly without upgrade

Maxxpsoft

n00b
I keep seeing this in the forums about a key for Windows 10 :confused: :eek: There is No Key needed

There is NO KEY its a HWID (Hardware ID). No need to plug in a key when installing. In fact just choose skip on any screen that asks if you are upgrading.
Only exception might be is you build new system buy a Win 10 dvd, install using key and bam your HWID (Hardware ID) is created, chances are you never have to use that key again. Unknown haven't seen anything on that yet.

I tried this Clean Install without upgrading and it worked on my laptop. snagged from another web site

1. You need a Windows 10 DVD or ISO image. If you don't have one get it from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10.
  2. Download the MediaCreationTool from Microsoft's website to create the ISO image. Make sure you pick the right architecture and version.
  3. Burn the ISO.
  4. Navigate to the folder YourDVD\sources and drag&drop the file gatherosstate.exe to the desktop.
  5. Right click and Run As Administrator. Give it time. It creates GenuineTicket.xml on the desktop. This file is needed so copy it to a USB drive or other location.
  6. Run a clean install of Windows 10 afterwards on the system.
  7. Make sure you skip the product key on all screens that ask for it. ALL
  8. Once you are done and in Windows 10, copy the file GenuineTicket.xml to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\ClipSVC\GenuineTicket
  9. The folder is hidden by default. If you cannot see it, select File > Options > View > Show hidden files, folders and drives in File Explorer.
    It deletes the file after it activates
  10. Reboot the PC.
  11. Some can simply hold down [Windows] key and hit [Pause] and it will open properties
    or Go to Start, click Settings, Update and Security, Activation = Windows is activated

NOTICE: If you know how to create a system image then do that first to a separate usb stick or whatever. Yes there are some systems will crash but that is a small amount.

Last edited:
This has been posted to a bunch of sites. This is not 100%. Some people claim it did not work for them. Now that might be a PEBKAC issue but it may or may not work for ya.

Worked for me but follow instructions carefully. I at first had that gatherosstate.exe in a folder on desktop and it didn't work. Moved to desktop and I just right clicked and Run as Administrator, waited a little bit and the GenuineTicket.xml appeared.

Windows 10 build 10565 due November

Activation improvements: Now you are able to use your Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 key to activate Windows 10 directly. You need not upgrade the installed Windows version to Windows 10. All you need is a genuine key of the older release. Type it in Windows 10 and you are done.

Too little, too late. I believe there are very few people left at this point who have not already gone through the whole process.

Fantastic news for everyone, you know you will format at some point even if you're on 10 now. They just saved you 15-30 minutes

Fantastic news for everyone, you know you will format at some point even if you're on 10 now. They just saved you 15-30 minutes
It makes absolutely zero difference for those who have already upgraded.

This only benefits those who have yet to upgrade.

It makes absolutely zero difference for those who have already upgraded.

This only benefits those who have yet to upgrade.

OK - but most people here will change out pieces of hardware, potentially multiple times a year that could cause them to have to reinstall the original OS first.

This does save time.

Back