how to change LED lights on a circuit board?

raygan_gamer

Limp Gawd
...just curious, I need someone to replace a blue LED (2 pcs), soldered on a circuit board with red LED...how much do I expect someone would charge me?

What size LED? If it's those little tiny ones, they're a pain, but if it's a normal sized one, they're pretty simple to do yourself if you have any soldering skill. I've done a bunch. I've changed my keyboard toggle lights (num lock, caps lock, etc) on my keyboard, the power light for my creative speakers, and the light in ps2 controllers and stuff so all the lights on my desk match, haha. Now everything has a black and blue theme going on. But yeah, it's not too hard. You just have to remove the current one and solder in the new one. You can pick up LEDs online, or possibly somewhere like radioshack. Not sure if that's the answer you're looking for or not.

thanks CLock3, but I do not have any tools or skills to do so...they are for a Coolermaster Stacker 830SE's Power/HDD LED.

hm, i can't really tell what the LEDs are like from the pic, but if you wanted to try it out, the tools are fairly cheap. You can pick up a basic soldering gun and solder at radioshack or something for pretty cheap. Then if you have something sitting around like an old keyboard or something you can try practicing on that. As far as being charged I'm not sure how much someone would charge you. I wouldn't imagine much, as it's a simple job, especially for someone that's experienced. Wouldn't take them long to do at all, you know?

Yeah, i couldn't really complain at that price. I'd say that's not bad at all.

ok, I managed not burn myself and the house....too many to post one by one with ImageShack...ok here's a preview (more upon request)

here's the other LED resting on LED window, next to the RESET button

I used this LinRose SuperBrite LED B4304H91 10000mcd 5mm Red 2.2Vf @20mA viewing angle-20

Hey, thanks very much to all who helped me build confidence in doing this myself. You guys are awesome...hope my experience can be helpful to someone someday:up:

Ended up doing it yourself eh? Good job man. Turned out good. Told you it's not as bad as it seems. Knowing how to solder is always a good skill to have, too.

I asked the tech in Fry's about this issue, and he was like, that's not even in our menu to charge.
The only regret I got was the $14 cordless Weller Solder that ran on 3-AA batteries---was good for only one soldering...I had to change battery on the next LED.

Then I see a cord-type solder in Walmart for $7...life is full of surprises.
I figure you only live once, learn to solder.

Thanks CLock3!

Back