• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How to change IRQ settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcidicRage

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 18, 2002
Messages
346
I need some serious help. I have an onboard FireWire card that's IRQ is currently shared by my Video Card (GF4) and another USB controller. The thing is, I just bought a firewire interface that has some problems due to the sharing of IRQ 16. I have the option of trying to set IRQ settings manually in my BIOS, but it only goes up to IRQ 16 and has some weird options that I don't know how to tweak with. I was wondering is there anyway in Windows or some other things that I can manually change the IRQ settings? I have Windows XP SP2. I tried going into the Device Manager and trying to go to Resources and uncheck the "automatic settings," but it is greyed out. Any suggestions? Thanks.
 
AcidicRage said:
I need some serious help. I have an onboard FireWire card that's IRQ is currently shared by my Video Card (GF4) and another USB controller. The thing is, I just bought a firewire interface that has some problems due to the sharing of IRQ 16. I have the option of trying to set IRQ settings manually in my BIOS, but it only goes up to IRQ 16 and has some weird options that I don't know how to tweak with. I was wondering is there anyway in Windows or some other things that I can manually change the IRQ settings? I have Windows XP SP2. I tried going into the Device Manager and trying to go to Resources and uncheck the "automatic settings," but it is greyed out. Any suggestions? Thanks.
I need to know this to, Im having a VERY similiar issue my self......
 
No, you don't need to know. I haven't seen a real IRQ/IRQ sharing issue since x9. ;)

10-1 you are not having an IRQ issue; what makes you think you are?

There are several ways to change the IRQs (again you likely don't need to). The driver may support it through device manager, double click the device, properties, resources, uncheck use automatic resources. Not many support this, because, well you just don't need to do it anymore.

For PCI devices you can shuffle them around to different PCI slots on the mobo. Depending on the BIOS you may have options there to assign the IRQs.
 
Phoenix86 said:
No, you don't need to know. I haven't seen a real IRQ/IRQ sharing issue since x9. ;)

10-1 you are not having an IRQ issue; what makes you think you are?

There are several ways to change the IRQs (again you likely don't need to). The driver may support it through device manager, double click the device, properties, resources, uncheck use automatic resources. Not many support this, because, well you just don't need to do it anymore.

For PCI devices you can shuffle them around to different PCI slots on the mobo. Depending on the BIOS you may have options there to assign the IRQs.
Hey PHOENIX, YES I DO NEED TO KNOW. You ask "What makes you think it an IRQ issue" well, simply this: I I disable the sound card in device manager, this way IRQ 19 is now only using my video card, and IRQ 18 is my other card (SLi) games are stutter free, as soon as I enable the sound card again (no IRQ 19 is shared) the stutter is back. Well now I guess you seen you first "XP" IRQ conflict :rolleyes: . Please dont come back and say its your "DRIVERS", I've contacted creative about this, and i've tried all the drivers @ hand for my Audigy2ZS card.
 
Phoenix86 said:
For PCI devices you can shuffle them around to different PCI slots on the mobo. Depending on the BIOS you may have options there to assign the IRQs.

to elaborate this point

http://www.sudhian.com/showfaqs.cfm?fid=2&fcid=26
more than you ever wanted to know about PIRQ routing

and often the BIOS options are totally useless without hacking and employing a different OS HAL (hardware abstraction layer) which means a total reinstall for a HAL without APIC

Phoenix86 answered your question listen to what he is saying ;)

try to locate a PIRQ routing table for your board, almost every workstation and server board has one, they are harder to find for gaming\desktop boards and you may need to resort to trial and error
 
You can go into Device Manager and change your computer type from ACPI PC to Standard PC which will allow you control over the IRQs. The process once done is irreversible unless you reinstall Windows. And as mentioned above, I doubt IRQ sharing is the cause of your issue.
 
Virtual Larry said:
APIC is a *good* thing. Advanced Peripherals Interrupt Controller, is a way for the system to have more than the standard 15 IRQs. In legacy mode, it mimics the original PC-AT interrupt controller. In "mixed" mode, it adds another 8 IRQs or so (running from IRQ 16-23), and in fully-native mode, you can have IRQs spanning from 0-128. In that mode, you shouldn't have any shared IRQs at all, although some of the physical PCI INT# lines may be wire-ORed on the mobo anyways.

Taking advantage of the APIC requires running either the ACPI or MPS HAL. The "Standard PC" HAL is limited to only using the legacy PC-AT interrupts. ACPI has various advantages and disadvantages. If you disable power-saving/throttling like I do by default, then it mostly only offers disadvantages. So if your mobo BIOS supports it, use the MPS HAL instead. If you can disable ACPI in your BIOS, do it, otherwise, you will have to hit F5 during boot and select your HAL manually. Enable APIC in BIOS, and set MPS version to 1.4 if possible.

Note that if you change any of these BIOS settings dealing with ACPI, APIC, or MPS, you will have to re-install your OS, or at least change the HAL driver before making the BIOS change, and then make the BIOS change immediately after rebooting the OS.

On my KT400 board, I've installed with ACPI disabled, APIC enabled, MPS version 1.4, using the MPS Uniprocessor HAL. The APIC is running in fully native mode, with no logical IRQs being shared at all.

I did something similar a million years ago to run my SX6000 on a dedicated IRQ
but really found no advantage

highly recommend swapping PCI slots till the problem goes away
 
Ice Czar said:
I did something similar a million years ago to run my SX6000 on a dedicated IRQ
but really found no advantage

highly recommend swapping PCI slots till the problem goes away
I've swapped slots already as I only have 2 to choose from. If I put the card in the other slot, it then shares IRQ 18, instead of 19.
 
well thats where it can get sticky
sharing in and of itself isnt a bad thing, its only if that causes problems
generally in a workstation or server you try to spread the heavily accessed components onto IRQs with less heavily accessed devices, thus a RAID card that is doing database type throughput isnt sharing an IRQ with the gigabit NIC(s)

you can setup the IRQs manually and the above should provide enough for you to research how with your config

before you get drastic with a reinstall and a new HAL research if you can free up an IRQ and assign it from one of the COM ports (Serial)
and try to find the PIRQ routing table, it will at least tell you what is on the various PCI slots
and may have more info for troubleshooting IRQ issues on that board
 
newls1 said:
I've swapped slots already as I only have 2 to choose from. If I put the card in the other slot, it then shares IRQ 18, instead of 19.

The real kicker is one you start to really undestand IRQ's you'll realize there is no IRQ 18 or 19. There are only 16 (0-15) so anything higher than that is just a "virtual" IRQ which is shared no matter what.

 
Party2go9820 said:
The real kicker is one you start to really undestand IRQ's you'll realize there is no IRQ 18 or 19. There are only 16 (0-15) so anything higher than that is just a "virtual" IRQ which is shared no matter what.

Well that makes sense cause in the BIOS you can control up to IRQ 16. What do Ido here people? I decided to buy an XF-I xtreme music, installed it and it to goes for IRQ 19 :mad: . I still have stutter, but not as bad as the audigy2 card. Is there a way I can force my cards to use IRQ (lets say) 14/15?
 
newls1 said:
Hey PHOENIX, YES I DO NEED TO KNOW.
2/3s of the post tells you how to for various devices... I'm happy you are focusing on the 1/3 of the post that says you are not having an IRQ issue. Of course you decide to take to opposite position of the important part.

*head+desk*
*repeats*

You ask "What makes you think it an IRQ issue" well, simply this: I I disable the sound card in device manager, this way IRQ 19 is now only using my video card, and IRQ 18 is my other card (SLi) games are stutter free, as soon as I enable the sound card again (no IRQ 19 is shared) the stutter is back.
That does not show an IRQ issue, it can be several things, most likely a driver/BIOS problem. There could be many other problems, a BIOS issue with the mobo, bad hardware, an actual IRQ issue.

Well now I guess you seen you first "XP" IRQ conflict :rolleyes:
Maybe, you will note I didn't say it can't be an IRQ issue, I said it's likely not one. Take your rolling eyes and stuff them. I'm providing help free of charge. My services also come with a 100% money back guarantee, I'll refund every penny you ever gave me.

Please dont come back and say its your "DRIVERS", I've contacted creative about this, and i've tried all the drivers @ hand for my Audigy2ZS card.
The lack of a working driver doesn't mean there isn't a problem with the drivers. I'm sure with logic like this + your keen aptitude for burning bridges you'll have your problem wrapped up in no time at all.

See sig., ask smart questions.
 
Phoenix86 said:
2/3s of the post tells you how to for various devices... I'm happy you are focusing on the 1/3 of the post that says you are not having an IRQ issue. Of course you decide to take to opposite position of the important part.

*head+desk*
*repeats*


That does not show an IRQ issue, it can be several things, most likely a driver/BIOS problem. There could be many other problems, a BIOS issue with the mobo, bad hardware, an actual IRQ issue.


Maybe, you will note I didn't say it can't be an IRQ issue, I said it's likely not one. Take your rolling eyes and stuff them. I'm providing help free of charge. My services also come with a 100% money back guarantee, I'll refund every penny you ever gave me.


The lack of a working driver doesn't mean there isn't a problem with the drivers. I'm sure with logic like this + your keen aptitude for burning bridges you'll have your problem wrapped up in no time at all.

See sig., ask smart questions.

HEY Phoenix: you can take your post and stuff it :rolleyes:
 
newls1 said:
HEY Phoenix: you can take your post and stuff it :rolleyes:
For someone who is asking for help, you aren't very appreciative when someone tries to help you. You'll never solve your problem if you don't listen to people trying to help you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top