How to change from coax to ethernet?

tpctcn

Limp Gawd
So I got a new router (DIR 655), but I forgot Verizon FIOS is using coaxial cable in my house. I looked around and seems like I can just call them to have it switched to ethernet connection. Would that cost extra? Or can I just do it myself? I don't have FIOS TV btw.

It's free, you just have to call and they will reprovision your ONT to be cat5.

You can do the hardware install yourself, just run a cat5 to your ONT and plug it in under the customer service panel.

If you ever get FiOS TV, just plug the Verizon router's WAN port into a LAN on your other router/switch.

It's free, you just have to call and they will reprovision your ONT to be cat5.

You can do the hardware install yourself, just run a cat5 to your ONT and plug it in under the customer service panel.

If you ever get FiOS TV, just plug the Verizon router's WAN port into a LAN on your other router/switch.

Thanks for the reply. I assume I plug the cat5 cable to the ethernet port right next to the coaxial cable in the ONT right? Where do I run the cable from though?

You could use Actiontec or WiPNET to place the ethernet signal onto your coax -- this would provide ethernet at every coax location, and no new holes!

As an update:
I had Verizon switch to ethernet, and got the new router working. However there seems to be some connection problems. Some websites seem to be loading slower than before, and they sometimes won't even load. Wikipedia is especially bad. Any ideas?

As an update:
I had Verizon switch to ethernet, and got the new router working. However there seems to be some connection problems. Some websites seem to be loading slower than before, and they sometimes won't even load. Wikipedia is especially bad. Any ideas?

Set the MTU on the routers WAN interface to 1492 or 1500. Try whichever one it's not already.

Another thing could be the new router lacking the power for the connection, but I highly doubt that is the case. Especially if you're not utilizing the connection completely.

Set the MTU on the routers WAN interface to 1492 or 1500. Try whichever one it's not already.

Another thing could be the new router lacking the power for the connection, but I highly doubt that is the case. Especially if you're not utilizing the connection completely.

I changed it, but it didn't help. I should note that download/upload speed is still normal at 25/25. Just normal browsing is having huge hiccups. I can't even load all the youtube thumbnails. Most sites require a few refreshes :(

Last edited:
I changed it, but it didn't help. I should note that download/upload speed is still normal at 25/25. Just normal browsing is having huge hiccups. I can't even load all the youtube thumbnails. Most sites require a few refreshes :(

Try setting DNS servers on the router to something like OpenDNS? Not sure what could be happening, I would need to intercept the traffic to see exactly what isn't working. : /

I think changing to openDNS actually helped? So far it's working fine. Not sure what's wrong with the default DNS though.

Back