How to change drive letters in Vista?

pvanosta

Limp Gawd
I have just installed Vista 5536 on my machine, on a freshly partioned and formatted 500GB drive (3 partitions).
There are 4 other drives, plus 2 burners in my box.
I want to change the drive letters, so that the 3 partitions of the 500GB drive show up as C, D and E.

I have tried 'rename', but that just changes the drive name, not the letter.

I know how to do this in XP, but can't seem to find it in Vista.

Anyone?
Thanks.

Assuming you aren't trying to change the system volume, it should be able to be done in Disk Management, just like in XP.

But for some reason, I'm not seeing 'Disk Management' in my Vista control panel, but I'll do some more digging tonight...

Assuming you have admin level rights, right click on the "Computer" icon...which would be the equivalent of My Computer. Then choose Manage.

Right-click 'Computer' and choose Manage

(I haven't installed RC1 yet, but from memory that's how it worked in Beta2, same as for XP. Only difference is that My Computer is no longer called My Computer.)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, somebody. I haven't got a Vista install just at the moment.

Edit: Guess I wasn't wrong. Beaten! :D

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > then Disk Management under the Storage group on the left.

Fact is, if you've learnt to use shortcuts for doing stuff in XP you'll find that most of them work in Vista as well. It's only if you go the long way round doing stuff that you get confused, because a fair few things have moved or changed names.

Back