How To Build A Tin Can Waveguide Antenna...

Few questions:

Is there a limit to how many cantennas you can use? Can I just split em with y-splitters, and add more?

Are they directional?

Wouldn't a pringles can be useless since it's cardboard and not metal?

/me looks at an old pringles can

They have a tin-foil-ish inside coating if that matters :p

they are directional....but if you make a whole array of them :D

Dang that's cool. The mini-antena is one of those things I've always wanted to get into but never have had the cause to... ah well.

Just a thought: When the power of wifi is being dissapated omni-directionaly, the power density at a certain point away from the antenna won't be very high. But, when you funnel all that energy directionally... Well, you see where i'm going. 2.45ghz = resonence frequency of water = bad for the body. Don't go staring straight down one of these :eek:

I remember seeing this site before. I was impressed. I might have to make one of these.

I'd like to build one of these, and put it on an impedance analyzer at work - there's no way one of these pringles antennas has a 1:1 SWR :)

I once made a 7-element Yagi on a printed circuit board for a friend, and the range was absolutely incredible. I should post some details on how to do it, because you can really easily make one by using copper tape and a sheet of plastic instead of an etched or milled PCB.

Originally posted by gee
I'd like to build one of these, and put it on an impedance analyzer at work - there's no way one of these pringles antennas has a 1:1 SWR :)

I once made a 7-element Yagi on a printed circuit board for a friend, and the range was absolutely incredible. I should post some details on how to do it, because you can really easily make one by using copper tape and a sheet of plastic instead of an etched or milled PCB.
id be interested gee.

Originally posted by Vertigo Acid
Just a thought: When the power of wifi is being dissapated omni-directionaly, the power density at a certain point away from the antenna won't be very high. But, when you funnel all that energy directionally... Well, you see where i'm going. 2.45ghz = resonence frequency of water = bad for the body. Don't go staring straight down one of these :eek:
Yeah, and I bet you are one of those people who won't hold a GSM cell phone to their ear, too.

How about: let's consider wattage? A Microwave can heat a liquid with GHz waves because it's 1000W. These routers are milliwatt or less.

Lol, maybe I'll set some water in front of mine just to see.

Anyway, thanks. For $0.00 I have made wireless networking finally actually WORK in my house. d-: Seriously though, before the signal would constantly go up and down and keep dropping every few seconds making it nearly impossible to do anything. But then I've had serious troubles with anything that uses radio signals around here with everything from wireless phones having to stay closer to the base than usual to even having severe troubles getting an intercom system working in two rooms right next to each other if they weren't against the same wall. I know I should just either buy an amplifier or use wired networking for that particular PC, but this stuff I already had and for those things it requires time and money I'm too lazy to spend. d-: Actually, mine is even more makeshift than usual with just a cofee can and a wire directly sticking through it, no bought parts (though I did open up my hub and splice the dongle that was connected to the built in PCMCIA -- yeah, you heard me, PCMCIA -- wireless card so I wouldn't have to track down a connector that would actually fit the odd connection. Ok, I needn't say I could have done better, but now at least the connection stays over 30% quality and doesn't ever completly drop. At one point I even had it consistantly staying around 50%, but I bumped the thing.

Back