How To Build a Raspberry Pi Arcade Machine

How good is it at emulating games though? (sorry if it mentioned it in the article, I skimmed-TFA) can you play pacman like a boss but you load up Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and you're playing in slow motion?

It's not a powerhouse (with that PII-300 equivalent processor) but should run most of the MAME 0.37b5 rom set okay; anything newer you might run into slow down issues.

What does any of this have to do with emulation?
It's ARM11 700MHz CPU should be more than enough for a majority of the arcade games up until about 2002 or so.
I would guess that by posting a link to the specs, I was attempting to show the person that asked about its capabilities in emulation that it should be capable of doing it. If you still do not understand why the link was given then I cannot help you any further.

I'm gonna check and see if there's any arcade cabinets around here, I'm really tempted to do do this.

I would guess that by posting a link to the specs, I was attempting to show the person that asked about its capabilities in emulation that it should be capable of doing it. If you still do not understand why the link was given then I cannot help you any further.

Sorry, that post could have meant that it was either enough, or that it was not enough.
Next time, please specify rather than posting a link to hardware specs, as those alone are not enough to decipher whether or not a system will be capable, at least to those who might new to this. ;)

Sorry, that post could have meant that it was either enough, or that it was not enough.
Next time, please specify rather than posting a link to hardware specs, as those alone are not enough to decipher whether or not a system will be capable, at least to those who might new to this. ;)

GPU, however, provides 1 Gpixel/s, 1.5 Gtexel/s or 24 GFLOPS of general purpose compute and the graphics capabilities of the Raspberry Pi are roughly equivalent to the level of performance of the Xbox of 2001

From the wiki link Eisenblut provided. Pretty much answers the question in laymen terms.

I've been building a 2 player bartop arcade cabinet (google weecade to find plans). In the beginning I was going to raspberry pi but thats kind of weaksauce unless you are only going to do mame and emulate old systems.
I've currently got it running with an i3-3420 (using integrated graphics) that is capable of running Ultra Street fighter 4 and I should be able to emulate Wii games. It will have a wii sensor bar above the screen and I've got a little glock looking wii-mote gun so I can play some shooty games.

I've been building a 2 player bartop arcade cabinet (google weecade to find plans). In the beginning I was going to raspberry pi but thats kind of weaksauce unless you are only going to do mame and emulate old systems.
I've currently got it running with an i3-3420 (using integrated graphics) that is capable of running Ultra Street fighter 4 and I should be able to emulate Wii games. It will have a wii sensor bar above the screen and I've got a little glock looking wii-mote gun so I can play some shooty games.

care to show us?

:D

WIP

Just some white primer but I hooked up player 1 controls for testing. No marquee or back on it yet.
m4VWNQSl.jpg

XHz8Buil.jpg

2tXFF5Ol.jpg

First coat of black paint. Haven't received my carbon fiber vinyl for sides and control panel yet.
xkOhbHCl.jpg

saBcpDTl.jpg

Are you using the CHD for Street Fighter? I'm not having much luck getting that running right. What version of MAME are you running? I'm building a couple cabinets myself (one for home, full height but not as deep) and a single player bartop style for work. :)

using the integrated intel hd2500 graphics. having dual channel memory (2x4) helps speed things up.
it's a 1680x1050 screen but I get a better benchmark rating running it at 1400 something.
I haven't messed with MAME too much yet. I will get all the frontend and emulators configured when its done.

Specs: Intel i3-3420, 2x4gb ram, Seagate 1tb hybrid (not shown above), 21" 16:10 screen that I had sitting in basement for years

I would guess that by posting a link to the specs, I was attempting to show the person that asked about its capabilities in emulation that it should be capable of doing it.
I appreciate the link, however the fact it says equivalent to a 300mhz P2 doesn't make me feel terribly good about how well it can perform, while it does try to amaze with GPixels and texels doesn't really tell me anything either. As I understand arcade emulation (emulation in general) is almost exclusively CPU based and not graphics card based. So while a P2 could play older games without a sweat I'm sure, newer ones might be a little slow? (it's been a while since I've done any emulation, so my memory is a bit hazy how well various games ran)

Specs: Intel i3-3420, 2x4gb ram, Seagate 1tb hybrid (not shown above), 21" 16:10 screen that I had sitting in basement for years
Assuming you're not playing any PC games conversions (i.e. SF4), is this a bit overkill? Or are you "future proofing" your system?

I ask because I saw someone dumping an older CeleronD-356 (3.33Ghz I think) and snatched it ... just because I thought of this thread an making a cabinet.. not sure if it'll be fast enough for what I want though. And unfortunately the guy dumping it was smart enough to remove the hard drive, and don't have one handy to see if I can't test it at all. They did upgrade the ram from the stock 512MB to 2GB though.

It's overkill if all you want to do is emulate older systems. I wanted to be able to play SFIV and other arcadey 'indie' games that you can find on steam,etc. If you want to emulate gamecube&wii with Dolphin you need something with more juice. I bought cpu+mobo for it and eventually a bigger harddrive (all on sale) and scrounged the rest.

I thought this was tame by only putting an i3 in it and no external graphics card :) I'm sure somebody here would put quad sli in it just to run pacman.

I'm using an i5 with 4GB RAM, strictly because Dolphin (Gamecube/Wii emulator) makes good use of the faster CPU and a GPU (going with a low profile AMD card).

For anything PS1/N64 or older - the i3 will work fine. Saturn emulation still isn't that great, though. Anything older - it doesn't take much. Unless you load up a bunch of filters to make it look prettier or high res texture replacements.

Are you using an iPac for the joystick interface? How many inputs are you using?

2 zero delay usb adapters. I got some cheap 2 player kit off ebay. They can run 12 buttons each.
I will be using all 12 on the first one since I have side buttons for pinball or whatever.
I bought 2 extra black buttons and 2 hexagonal joystick restrictors that didnt come in the kit.

Back