How to boot memtest86+?

mattshu88

n00b
I tried:

Downloading the compressed iso file, unzipping the iso file, burning the iso file, and selecting boot from CD-ROM in bios settings. Nevertheless, I'm greeted with a vista boot from harddive instead... :confused:

Anyone care to post a fool-proof walk-through with nero 8 burning rom?

Too bad I don't have the simple option of using the floppy :)

If you correctly burned the ISO as an image, and there is only one way to do it, and set you're optical drive as the first boot device, then it should start memtest right away. Try DLing and burning another copy.

^^ this guy is correct

burn as image and your computer should boot to the cd if first boot goes to cd-rom.

You could always disconect your hard drive so it has to boot fron the cd drive.

You have to 'press any key' to boot from CD ROM, otherwise it will be bypassed and boot to the second item.. which is your hard drive.

I physically disconnected my hard drive and I am still unable to boot memtest.

I'm guessing I'm not writing the iso right, but there seems to be only one way to go about writing it.

Load nero burning rom, cancel the wizard, select burn image under the recorder drop-down menu, navigate to desktop>memtest86+-2.01.iso>boot>memtest.img and select it. Then I burn it at the 8x speed on a blank CD-R. Turn off my machine, unplug the s-ata cable on my harddrive and then turn the machine back on and get unable to boot from CD-ROM insert a system disk and press enter kinda message.

What gives?:confused:

edit: well I tried downloading a new file, and it worked this time. This time when I unzipped it, I didn't unzip the following .iso file. Last time I unzipped the .iso into its components (now bolded above) and just selected the .img file to burn. Anyways why does winrar want to open the .iso in the first place anyways?

Turns out my corsair memory failed <1 min into testing on test 2. So since I have 4 1Gb sticks, I'll want to take out all but one and test them individually to find out which one is causing the crashes correct? Was overclocking them .3V for 4 hours likely to cause this or were they likely to have been damaged from the start? I never ran memtest beforehand on them.

to be honest, the last time i used nero was years ago. let me recall my days, you need to use 'burn image' or there is a 'burn as image' in the drop menu.

Back