How to block access?

serialtoon

Limp Gawd
Hello everyone, im a long time reader, but i finally had the time to join up. I have a question. I currently own a NetGear WGR614 Version 6 router and i was wondering if there was anyway i can block access to other computers that are connected thru a Cat 5 and not wireless. Reason i ask is because sometimes i wanna host games and i cant if people that i live with are uploading and downloading all the time. I pay for the internet sevice here ( DSL ). I dont want to ask them to stop, instead i wanna make it seem like they "cant connect" because of something. You know, all stealthy. Heh. Is there a way to do it? I am the only person with access to the router. Its currently running thru DHCP.

Depending upon how network savy the other users are, here's an easy way.

Configure the router to assing an IP address only to MAC address that are listed in it's table.

Add your MAC address only and all other users will not be able to get onto the internet easily because they will not get an IP address and gateway from the router's DHCP server. It's not fool proof but will work on the average home users.

If the other users are very good at networking, let me know and I'll let you know of other ways.

Depending upon how network savy the other users are, here's an easy way.

Configure the router to assing an IP address only to MAC address that are listed in it's table.

Add your MAC address only and all other users will not be able to get onto the internet easily because they will not get an IP address and gateway from the router's DHCP server. It's not fool proof but will work on the average home users.

If the other users are very good at networking, let me know and I'll let you know of other ways.

Ok, well these people have no idea what a router is, so this might be sufficient. Only problem is how do i add my mac address only? My router doesnt even have such an option. It has those features only for wireless users.

Ok, so i get to work and and login to the router here which is a Linksys BEFW11S4 (which is also mine, they are "borrowing" it) and it does have options to stop certain users from accessing the internet. I think im gonna have to do the ol' switch-a-roo. First im gonna lay the hammer on them and tell them to stop hogging the bandwidth at home, if not, ill have to limit them. If that doesnt work.... :)

Qos so that your applications take priority. its a perminent solution that will only throttle them when your apps are in use. Beyond that they have full bandwidth.. not sure if any of your routers Qos but thats the solution

can your router save setups to a file on your PC?

if so then...

save the current "normal" setup to a file

remove DHCP setup, change the IP of the router and setup your connection manually.

This will cut off all users who don't know the IP of the router and the IP range to use.

Save this setup as "Second Setup"

now reload "normal" and every one has access again.

eg

all PC are connect to the router IP 192.168.10.1, DHCP --> 192.168.100.10 - 20

this is the normal setup and all PCs can connect to the net

Second setup

Router IP 192.168.1.1, DHCP --> off

now change the PCs IP to 192.168.1.2 and you can connect to the net but no one else can as they don't know the IP and the DHCP does not assign them one.

When your finished just reload "normal" and its all back up and running.

Your router does have it. I just downloaded the manual from Netgear, wgr614v6_ref_man_20Apr05.pdf, and on page 64 it talks about "Using Address Reservation"

Here's what you can do:
Create a DHCP server pool with only 1 IP address:
DHCP Server Start-IP: 192.168.1.100
DHCP Server End-IP: 192.168.1.100
And add your NIC's MAC address(wire or wireless...whatever NIC you use to get onto the internet) into the reserve table.

Depending upon your router, you might not even need to create a DHCP server pool and just add your MAC address. Download the manual from Netgear and check on Page 64.

Your router can also restrict internet access base on time of day. Look on page 39 for "Scheduling When Blocking Will Be Enforced"

The best way to do it is to do the following:
QoS like someone mention and allocate only 14.4Kbps up/down to everyone except you. You get the remaining bandwidth. :)

Your router does have it. I just downloaded the manual from Netgear, wgr614v6_ref_man_20Apr05.pdf, and on page 64 it talks about "Using Address Reservation"

Here's what you can do:
Create a DHCP server pool with only 1 IP address:
DHCP Server Start-IP: 192.168.1.100
DHCP Server End-IP: 192.168.1.100
And add your NIC's MAC address(wire or wireless...whatever NIC you use to get onto the internet) into the reserve table.

Depending upon your router, you might not even need to create a DHCP server pool and just add your MAC address. Download the manual from Netgear and check on Page 64.

Your router can also restrict internet access base on time of day. Look on page 39 for "Scheduling When Blocking Will Be Enforced"

The best way to do it is to do the following:
QoS like someone mention and allocate only 14.4Kbps up/down to everyone except you. You get the remaining bandwidth. :)

The blocking service is for specific internet sites to block at specific times. As for saving the settings im gonna see if thats possible. You guys rock btw! thx for the help so far i will post with results.

So i can save the settings but this is a "brute" way of doing things. Im just gonna have to wreak havoc on them if they decide to slow my bandwidth down. ;-) thx for the help fellas.

The blocking service is for specific internet sites to block at specific times. As for saving the settings im gonna see if thats possible. You guys rock btw! thx for the help so far i will post with results.

I can't remember what the document says exactly, but there is a wildcard(maybe *) that says block access to all websites.

If they don't know what a router is, just disable DHCP, and change the default IP of the router. It's a two minute fix, and they won't figure out how to connect unless they plug in and start sniffing packets.

Back