How to become an OEM system builder?

davidm71

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

With all the confusion on using Microsoft OEM licenses beyond personal use was wondering how one would become a legal oem system builder so you could buy cheap oem license and install and configure it on a either a machine you build or reconfigured previously owned machine you charge a fee for the installation?

Thanks

Hi,

With all the confusion on using Microsoft OEM licenses beyond personal use was wondering how one would become a legal oem system builder so you could buy cheap oem license and install and configure it on a either a machine you build or reconfigured previously owned machine you charge a fee for the installation?

Thanks
start a business, with proper licensing/tax numbers/etc, get an oem supplier, build/refurb systems.

So I could use legal zoom and get a sole proprietorship and call it lets say davids systems or something then be completely legal. Whats an OEM supplier?

So I could use legal zoom and get a sole proprietorship and call it lets say davids systems or something then be completely legal. Whats an OEM supplier?
a company that sells parts direct to system builders/shops, most major cities have them. usually requires opening an account with them that needs business/tax numbers. parts prices are lower and you can buy oem parts where you provide the warranty on the systems you build. its how smaller shops run or at least did.
maybe even look into the refurb program
https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/Microso...ertificate of Authenticity may be refurbished.

a company that sells parts direct to system builders/shops, most major cities have them. usually requires opening an account with them that needs business/tax numbers. parts prices are lower and you can buy oem parts where you provide the warranty on the systems you build. its how smaller shops run or at least did.
maybe even look into the refurb program
https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/Microsoft_Refurbisher_Program#:~:text=The only requirement to enroll is that the,valid Windows Certificate of Authenticity may be refurbished.

First got to say dig your handle. Big excaliber fan. Anyhow easy enough. Probably need to setup LLC?

And about those cheap oem licenses being sold advertised on other tech sites. Those must be resellers and violating MS terms for resale?

First got to say dig your handle. Big excaliber fan. Anyhow easy enough. Probably need to setup LLC?

And about those cheap oem licenses being sold advertised on other tech sites. Those must be resellers and violating MS terms for resale?
thanks. little bro gave it too me in the 90s. not sure what all is needed, would probably need to check with the city and or suppliers.
a lot of them arent really legit. they are valid keys but meant for a specific client/purpose and get sold on. im sure most are...

IIRC you won't receive much if any discount until you reach extremely high volumes. Don't expect to get the same pricing you see at shady CD key sites.

The refurb program did give some pretty steep discounts but I haven't been involved with it in 10 years or so. I'm not even sure if this is still a thing since prebuilt machines don't have COAs anymore.

I see Newegg is also selling OEM Win Server license for like ten times more than the likes of Godeal24. Suppose thats less shady.

I have never had any trouble with newegg keys. We have received fakes from Amazon. They almost look legit and activate, but the COAs are lower quality (don't stick well \ wrong font \ have scratch offs that scratches the key off with it lol.)

Generally if you aren't paying MSRP it's probably not on the up and up when it comes to MS licenses.

Newegg and others used to sell windows OEM keys to anyone with the purchase of other computer hardware, "for the purpose of building a system" or somesuch, for $10. MS has since changed their licensing terms, unfortunately.

It's grayware licenses likely imported from 3rd world countries or used against the TOS. Let me put it this way, do you think NewEgg is selling $140 OEM key and profiting $130 on it? No.

If you want to do it legit you have to pay the actual full price for the licenses from Microsoft. I you are US based you are going to pay much more per license than if you lived in Russia or China or anywhere over there.

I think licenses for charities can be had for like $6. Licenses for refurbished retail computers is going to be between $30-$40. I read once OEM's pay around this amount per licenses ($40). Retail/OEM licenses like you see on NewEgg for $140, I don't know how much they pay but I don't think they are making huge profit on them, so I im agine it's still around $100 a license (guessing), but you are not going to be able to compete paying $100 per license so you have to get in on the wholesale program to buy them for $40-50 each from Microsoft.

https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/Microsoft_Refurbisher_Program
https://resource-recycling.com/e-sc...coming-to-microsofts-pc-refurbisher-programs/

Back