• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How to back up the boot sector?

Techx

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 30, 2002
Messages
4,380
Theres been many times in the past where I had some HD problem and the only way to fix it was to restore my boot sector but I never had a backup of it, I mean, who does? And writing a new sector doesn't always work. So, my system is working just fine now, how the hell do I make a backup of the boot sector, or MBR, so that I'll have it, in case there ever is a problem?

Thanks
 
Umm, why back it up when windows can restore it if there is a problem ?

cant remember the exact steps, but you can repair the boot sector, google and you will see how to do it.

me personally, i have never backed up my mbr, but i spose something is capable of doing it.

this link is for repairing your mbr if you ever need to do it again ;)

here ya go

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm#How%20to%20Repair%20the%20Boot%20Sector:


ok for backup of mbr, go here and get this

http://www.dynawell.com/support/ResKit/download/wntdisksave.asp

get disksave, click on you have a valid license and download disksave.exe

then go here for how to do it

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kb...cellaneous/BackupRestoreMasterBootRecord.html

I only had like 2 minutes to find stuff, but there ya go, if it dont work, then i dunno, as I have had no need to mess with my mbr on my drives, but now i have posted in this thread, you can bet my mbr will get corrupted pretty dam soon....
 
I was always under the impression that your MBR is customized to your particular setup, your partition info, etc. So if it got corrupted then you could try fixmbr but that it will not always work, so if you had a backup you would be safe if something were to ever happen. I actually have had this happen to me in the past and fixmbr did not work, had to reinstall, but then again the problem would have been more extensive than just a corrupted mbr.

thanks
 
Ya, as far as I know that the MBR is made specifically for your pc, basically the mbr will grow over time due to program installs and other shite, exactly how it does it i dunno, but I know it grows over time but not too much and it also gets fragmented over time.

Regarding problems and backups of mbr, I have only ever had one problem and I just cleaned the drive out and started again with a new partition etc, so i havent really done any repairing or messing about with MBR except deleting them and starting over.
 
Another suggestion: Google a program called "Free FDISK". If I am not mistaken (or last I remember), you can use standard Microsoft FDisk commands like "fdisk /mbr" which will rebuild your MBR.
 
Back
Top