How to back up my complete Ipad data?

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Dec 29, 2000
Messages
11,057
I am curious to know about backups on the Ipad.


If I run the Itunes back up and let it back the Pad up, Lets say I get a new Pad and try to restore the data from one tab backup to a new one. Will the new Pad look just like the old one? All Apps, Music, movies etc would be restored?


Or am I making this easier than it really is?
 
It's really that easy. Contacts, app settings/data, message history, web browser settings/hist, settings, etc... You'll just have to sync with the computer to get any non-Apple stuff/mp3s.
 
I am curious to know about backups on the Ipad.


If I run the Itunes back up and let it back the Pad up, Lets say I get a new Pad and try to restore the data from one tab backup to a new one. Will the new Pad look just like the old one? All Apps, Music, movies etc would be restored?


Or am I making this easier than it really is?

This is what you do when you get a new iPad. I did two backups, one on the pc the other on iCloud.
 

^^^ This stuff is way overkill at this point. It was more-relevant a year and a half ago when it was first posted.

I've successfully backed up/restored both my iPad 2/3, iPhone 3GS/4 each about 4-5 times successfully using iTunes with no hiccups. At this point as long as you're running one of the latest revisions of iTunes, a simple backup of the device, then restoration onto the new one works seamlessly. The only note to take to make sure all app icons/folders remain in the same location is to not make any changes to the apps or home screen while the initial restore sync is taking place and reinstalling apps.

As a quick note on iCloud vs iTunes, iTunes takes a lot less time to restore with than iCloud, so if you're on a time crunch that's the route I'd take. Otherwise iCloud backup/restore also works fine.
 
Last edited:
^^^ This stuff is way overkill at this point. It was more-relevant a year and a half ago when it was first posted.

I've successfully backed up/restored both my iPad 2/3, iPhone 3GS/4 each about 4-5 times successfully using iTunes with no hiccups. At this point as long as you're running one of the latest revisions of iTunes, a simple backup of the device, then restoration onto the new one works seamlessly. The only note to take to make sure all app icons/folders remain in the same location is to not make any changes to the apps or home screen while the initial restore sync is taking place and reinstalling apps.

As a quick note on iCloud vs iTunes, iTunes takes a lot less time to restore with than iCloud, so if you're on a time crunch that's the route I'd take. Otherwise iCloud backup/restore also works fine.


I gotcha...SO basically I do a backup in itunes, it will grab the info in regards to settings etc. Then when I connect the new one and restore, it will restore that stuff and bring over apps, music and movies as part of the sync up with itunes?
 
Last edited:
Yes exactly, then when you plug in your new iPad just choose to restore from your backup, let it do its thang, and you'll be in business! :)
 
Back
Top