how to associate default program with an extension?

DaRuSsIaMaN

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 22, 2007
Messages
1,216
I know often this is done within software itself, like for example in a media player's settings you can associate that player w/ media files...

But recently I installed Mathematica, and it thinks that it should be the default program to open my MatLab .m files (scripts or code files). I want to re-associate .m files with MatLab, as it was before, but I can't find any such settings within MatLab itself.

So what to do?
 
Right click on a .m file and choose "Open With" and then "Choose Program". In the dialog select MatLab and check the box for "Always use the selected program" finally click OK.
 
Depends on the OS. If you have XP, go to Control Panel and Maintenance and choose folder options. Look at the file types tab, find the extension then choose a new program.

If you have Vista, on the start menu go to Default Programs option on the right side of the Start Menu. Click on associate file type.

You can also hold down shift+right click and you should see the 'open-with' menu appear, Choose the program and click "always open with this program". If the file does not have a proper extension, you won't see the 'open with' option.
 
Right click on a .m file and choose "Open With" and then "Choose Program". In the dialog select MatLab and check the box for "Always use the selected program" finally click OK.

Oh yeah.... duh that's so easy, can't believe I forgot! Thx, that worked.
 
Back
Top