• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

how to apply Arctic Silver 5...?

arman01

Gawd
Joined
Feb 9, 2005
Messages
759
hey guys,
i have an athlon 64 cpu with some AS5, and i was wondering how i apply it, as ive never done it before...

also, should i remove the heatspreader pad that came stuck under the heatsink before applying it?

thanks
 
very easy. 1) get a plastic bag 2) get a credit card 3) put the credit card in the plastic bag put a small pea sized portion of AS5 on the cpu 4) spread evenly around the entire cpu 5) put enough to cover entire cpu 6) remove bumps 7) put hsf on top 8) dance.
 
Honestly, this question gets me really fustrated cuz it's asked atleast weekly. A search will yield you numerous answers, as well as the artic silver website has good directions.

But to humor you: Add about a grain of rice sized dot to middle, spread it out with credit card or something (not your finger). Make sure its a super thin layer just to fill in cracks. Too much will work against you.
 
Get the retail thermal pad completely off using q-tips, a paper bag, and rubbing alchohol. Then apply a small dot around the size of a grain of rice to the center of the heatspreader on the cpu. Then put the heatsink on to squish it down.
 
Weird you guys go through all of the trouble. I put a a very small dab on chip and smear it around.
 
Yeah, I agree just dab a small amount on the center of the CPu and let the heatsink sandwich it.

2Fresh said:
Weird you guys go through all of the trouble. I put a a very small dab on chip and smear it around.
 
Yea you can smere it on any method, its not hard. Just don't want oils from fingers on it ;)
 
n64man120 said:
Honestly, this question gets me really fustrated cuz it's asked atleast weekly.

so if its asked every week and it bothers you that bad, then why on earth do you even bother clicking on the damn thread(s)?

Jesus, I've been chatting on internet forums now for over five years and yet I still havent figured out why people like to moan and complain about topics that are posted when in fact that particular person DOES NOT have to click on anything if he or she doesnt want to.

again, I just dont understand... :rolleyes:
 
Jasonx82 said:
In that link...

Did the process change? or has it always been this way?

They way They used to say it had to be done was put a small dab on the die of the cpu, and spread it paper thin, apply the HSF and you are good. Now it seems much more different.....
Apply some to the bottom of the HSF? Never heard of that before, apply a dot in the center of the core without spreading it thin? never heard of that before... I accualy thought that is what you were NOT suppose to do? now i am :confused:
 
USMC2Hard4U said:
Can anyone explain this :confused:

okay.

they want you to put a dot of AS on the center of the CPU.

and then they want you to put some AS on the base of the heatsink and use something like a plastic bag wrapped around one of your fingers so you can spread the stuff around on the base of the cooler. the whole point in doing this is to spread the stuff around and to fill in any microscopic valleys (sp?) with the stuff.

after you've done that, they just want you to use something like a papertowel to clean the excess stuff off the base but they tell you not to use anything like alcohol because that will clean it up too much thus removing the AS that supposedly filled in the microscopic valleys.
 
Thanks Ozz I understand but correct me if im wrong.

I know you have been around a while too, so im sure you will know.

Didnt "arctic silver" tell us not to tab it in a glop on the die like that before? Wasnt the old way to spear it very thin and evenly on the CPU die? then apply the HSF.
 
USMC2Hard4U said:
Didnt "arctic silver" tell us not to tab it in a glop on the die like that before? Wasnt the old way to spear it very thin and evenly on the CPU die? then apply the HSF.

that couldve been true with the older versions of AS which were much thinner than today's AS which is alot thicker in consistancy.
 
I just put a little dot of it on there (about the size of a small grain of rice) and installed the HSF. With my $20 Arctic Cooling Freezer 4, I'm getting idle of 28 celsius and load of 38.

As you can see, no need to spread it. It seriously took me like 1 minute to install this way.
 
USMC2Hard4U said:
Thanks Ozz I understand but correct me if im wrong.

I know you have been around a while too, so im sure you will know.

Didnt "arctic silver" tell us not to tab it in a glop on the die like that before? Wasnt the old way to spear it very thin and evenly on the CPU die? then apply the HSF.
I'm almost sure you're right. And I think it was for AS5, too. I remember reading something similiar to what you're describing about a year ago and that's how I was applying it (and still do sometimes) until I read the new instructions.
 
I think you're supposed to spread it directly on the CPU or GPU die.
I did that when I put my ATi Silencer on my 9800 Pro. But for CPUs with an IHS, just a dot.
 
I agree with the size of a grain and 1/2 of rice in the center and let the heatsink and heat do the rest. If you try to spread artic silver 5 like other paste you are going to have a mess come time to change heatsink`s or cpu. That stuff is like glue and will pull the CPU out of the socket if you are not careful removing the heatsink.
 
ozziegn said:
so if its asked every week and it bothers you that bad, then why on earth do you even bother clicking on the damn thread(s)?

Jesus, I've been chatting on internet forums now for over five years and yet I still havent figured out why people like to moan and complain about topics that are posted when in fact that particular person DOES NOT have to click on anything if he or she doesnt want to.

again, I just dont understand... :rolleyes:

Never have truer words been spoken. I honestly believe that some people in this forum just post to argue or put others down. I'm not saying this is the case with n64man's post (it's not that bad, I've seen some truly crappy ones) but the poor attitude is there. I guess I don't understand either.

I apologize for the off-topic post.
 
the "proper" method as explained is to smear it around, the quickie is to just smear it w/ the heatsink, i've done it both ways, but never noticed any temp difference, maybe like 1C or possible 2C at the most, you loose more cooling ability when you don't clean the dust off the heatsink

for example after 4 months i hadn't cleaned out my case b/c it looked clean(no bunnies anywhere in site, just a light coating on the bottom which gets there after a day or so anyways), but my CPU was a mind boggleing 7C warmer then normal!!!! it had been slowly getting warmer and warmer over the past month, i just thought it was because of the location of my computer in its room, turned out the fins were packed w/ dust. wiped/blew it out, dropped back down to normal load temps, just for fun i took it off, cleaned the CPU and HS, applied some fresh AS5 by smearing it w/ a bag on my finger and the temps were the same as right after cleaning it, where the last time i just smushed it b/c i was in a rush to get the machine up again, no temp differences that i saw. just my .02.
 
Back
Top