How to adjust automatic fan control?

Mermalion

Limp Gawd
I recently got a Zotac 8800gtx and this thing is a beast! The only problem is that the temps scare me. It can get in the upper 90's running Fallout 3 maxed out. Here's what I did to fix that.

I removed the card from the system
Took off the plastic shroud and fan
Mounted a 92x38mm fan to the heatsink
Used the same 4pin connector that goes to the card

Now since I did that is able to stay much cooler. The only problem is that this fan is one of those ones that sounds like a turbine when at full speed but blows tons of air. If I set automatic fan control on it sounds like it's just running it at full speed but doesn't adjust it. Is there a way I could force it to run low rpm in 2d mode then spin up some in 3d mode?

Are you using a PWM fan or did you mod a three wire fan to the four wire connector? If it is a PWM it should adjust automatically. Not sure if the 8800gtx comes with a program that lets you adjust fan speed settings, but you can do that in RivaTuner as well.

Option B is to install a Zalman fanmate and adjust the fan speed manually.

Yes, it's a PWM fan. It already has the 4 wires. The only problem with using rivatuner to adjust the fan speed is it will only go down to 25% which still sounds like a jet. Right now I have it set to 8% in nvidia control panel but it won't turn itself up when I game. I need it to go up to about 10-12%. At that speed it will keep it cool with no problem ( about 70c tops ) and won't be audible over my games.

I got it working :D

I used NiBiTor and nvflash to edit the bios of my card so that in 2d mode it runs at 500mhz core and 1700mhz ram with only 8% fan speed and when it hits 3d mode it changes to 600mhz core and 1900mhz ram with 12% fan speed. It seems to work beautifully. I still need to mess with it a bit just to fine tune the bios and clock speeds but it seems to work very well. I'm idling at 58c which is pretty good since the room is a few degrees over 80f. I'll test out 3d mode and see what temps hit and keep you guys posted.

Does anyone know what the stock core voltage is supposed to be for these 8800gtx's? I would like to turn it down if I could to help save power and heat. I have options for 1.3v, 1.2v, 1.1v

Back