How to add DDWRT router to apt to increase wireless strength

JordanCL

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all,

I recently moved into a 2BR/2BA and I'd like some help with the internet situation. The apartment has AT&T U-Verse, and the 2Wire router is in the master closet. The router has hard cabled ethernet through the walls and has ports in the master br, the 2nd br, and the living room, and broadcasts wireless throughout the apt. When everyone is home with iphones and ipads and laptops and tvs, the wireless sucks. Best signal strength I ever get at my computer, which is on the opposite side of the apt and behind an alcove wall is -45 db, and thats with a high powered antenna.

Here's a diagram:

ubvLcHb.png

The Master BR port is connected to an apple TV, and the living room port is connected to the U-Verse box. The Roku in the 2nd bedroom is on wireless (the port in the bedroom isn't being used atm), and the xbox in the living room is on wireless, as is my computer in the alcove. Streaming at night from my computer to the Roku or Xbox is very iffy, sometimes unusable.

I can't move the computer or run any cable to the computer. I'm thinking the best thing to do is put a DD-WRT router in the 2nd bedroom connected to the wall port, wire the roku to that, and broadcast wireless from that room to the computer. Ideally I'd like everything to be on the same network for flawless streaming, but I don't know if the router in the 2nd bedroom should be bridge or repeater or what. Suggestions, ideas or help?

-45db in the 2.4Ghz band is pretty good actually. Before going crazy with hardware, double check your environment and see if you are on the least crowded channel.

Wireless streaming is awful. Also, -45db on 2.4GHz is (potentially) awesome.

Check and see if wiring either of these devices at night makes a difference. Your connection could just suck.

Thanks guys. I'll wire the roku first and see if that helps, and I'll consider getting a switch for the living room to wire the tv box and the xbox at the same time.

Back