How to access hard drive 'permissions', XP pro

undertheradar

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay, here's the story:

I was playing COD4, and my system froze. Upon startup, windows couldnt start either then...odd. So I tried 'safe mode', and it still froze when loading 'Mup'.

So something in my windows system is toast. I dont have a floppy drive, so I never made an automated recovery disk, which might help in this case, but I tried this:

I figured I can just F-disk and start over (like I usually do every 6-9 months), but I want to pull all the data off of that drive. So I 'hot swapped' it onto another computer: I booted another SATA drive computer's windows system, and then plugged in the drive from the system that crashed.

Hey, it worked... or so I thought. The drive showed up, and I started to get into the files. It wouldnt let me into my own documents and settings though, so I had to use 'search' to get into my files. Great... I can see all my files, and they are all still there. The problem is that I cant get into any of them because I didnt boot from the same drive... the 'permissions' of an NT file system must mean I cant get into the data on the crapped out drive. What can I do to get around this? Is there some way to allow access to these files, or am I going to need someone I know to rip apart this drive with some expensive software?

To make matters worse, I tried hooking up the drive back to the old computer to see what, if anything might have changed. Now, the hard drive isnt even recognized as a system disk (but it does still show up on the other computer, so its still there). So I dont think ASR is even possible at this point... or is it?

I believe you need to login as administrator and "take ownership" of the files folders you want to access.

I am logged in as admin on the backup computer, but do you mean log in as admin on the 'corrupted' drive as well? How is that possible? How do you 'take ownership' as you say? It seems like the info in the corrupted drive is encoded with a permission to only be opened by THAT computer's admin, not the other one (the one I am typing from).

Thanks for the help. I tried those links provided, and it seems setting permissions is the whole hurdle I have yet to overcome. I disabled simple file sharing, but that did nothing for me. I tried to enable permissions on the user file to gain access to all the favorites, my documents, and desktop.

I get 'An error occurred while trying to share '(insert user file name)'. Access is denied. The shared resource was not created at this time.

Also of note, next to the sharing tab is the secirity tab, and when I just click on this tab for say, the Desktop folder, I get: 'You do not have permission to view or edit the current permission settings for Desktop, but you can change ownership or change auditing settings.'

Something is blocking me still... any ideas?

edit: nevermind. I had to do the stuff on the first page you pointed out before I could do all that other stuff on '307874' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874/). You are 1337, I am not. Thanks, everything is transferring now to my backup external drive.

WARNING: COD 4 can crash your system!!!

You could try booting from your XP CD and doing a repair. Put the drive back in it's original system and run the repair from there. Don't forget to switch the jumper back to master. ;)

Back