How Tech-Savvy Are Kids?

not very? everything is so easy to use now they never had to go through config.sys/autoexecbat.bat tweaks and installing dos CD rom drivers to install things like win95/98

oh how precious that floppy disk with my cd-rom drivers was

My thoughts as well.

I think this probably says more about how completely tech-illiterate parents are, rather than how their kids are tech geniuses. It's not really surprising though. If a kid does something from the time they are 3 years old they are probably going to be better at it than someone who started at 30 years old.

Play dates? Parents invent some stupid names for things.

Also, I don't personally know of many 8 year olds that can configure a RAID array, manage a SAN, or maintain a SQL server so I'm guessing the answer is probably, "No, they're not more tech-savvy." Most of them don't even know what an ISO is or have any idea how to use Debian's package management tools.

I don't personally know of many PEOPLE that can do those things, regardless of their age. Most people don't really need to know those things either to be fair (although a lot of people could benefit from RAID1 as opposed to no backup whatsoever...)

When I was a kid I was using DOS and playing with jumpers and Windows registry. Hooking up two PC through a modem to play multiplayer Doom 2, dealing with modems IRQ settings.

Compared to kids today which use tablets and cell phones, which are considered dumb down devices. Unless kids today are getting Linux on their machines and playing with Terminal then no. Kids aren't very Tech-Savvy. There's a difference between functionally illiterate and Tech Savvy.

I think this probably says more about how completely tech-illiterate parents are, rather than how their kids are tech geniuses. It's not really surprising though. If a kid does something from the time they are 3 years old they are probably going to be better at it than someone who started at 30 years old.

I don't personally know of many PEOPLE that can do those things, regardless of their age. Most people don't really need to know those things either to be fair (although a lot of people could benefit from RAID1 as opposed to no backup whatsoever...)

RAID is not a backup.

Give me a break. All kids know how to do today is use spellcheckers, cheat, text on their phones, use FaceBook and play Farmville! They are nowhere near capable of searching for parts and building a pc!

Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb........... DUMB!

Back