• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

How slow are bigadv wu?

thegtproject

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 18, 2011
Messages
126
Is this normal, 15 hours and I'm at 20% done on a i7 running @ 4.0 ghz

Code:
[brandon@walle folding]$ ./fah6 -smp -verbosity 9 -bigadv
 
That's about right... I think I get around 52min/frame or there abouts on a i920@3.99 depending on WU
 
sounds right depending on WU. TPF of 33 min-ish for a 6900 on windows but much longer for 2684
 
Still new to folding, looking for WU identifier... is this what you're askin for?

Code:
Current Work Unit
-----------------
Name: Gromacs
Tag: P2684R4C8G104
Download time: September 15 11:47:52
Due time: September 21 11:47:52
Progress: 20%  [||________]

edit:

oh also found:

Code:
[07:38:31] Project: 2684 (Run 4, Clone 8, Gen 104)
 
Code:
[07:38:31] Project: 2684 (Run 4, Clone 8, Gen 104)

Yep, you started off with the bane of bigadv, the dreaded 2684.

Unfortunately it being a slow undervalued POS is very normal.
 
mrbill2684.jpg
 
LOL, nice!

On another note, my i5-2400, HTPC+Storage+Web Server, now folder, is producing pretty good numbers. It was doing pretty poorly and just started ramping up, i think the bonus is finally kicking in. http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=568349

Most the credit is from the i5 right now because my i7 rig has shown an ugly heat problem. My corsair H50 isn't keeping up with the constant tempature, eventually the water in the loop was an ambient 70C, wow! I have a custom water cooling loop with a double wide radiator on the power mosfets and the north bridge of the motherboard though, so that keeps my house nice and warm :)
 
Folding1 with a Bloomfield@3.46ghz has a TPF of 51-52 minutes on those dreaded 2684's. Just make sure that you are starting to get the bonus by folding 10 SMP work units before switching over to bigadv.
 
Thankfully I saw this thread, I've got a 2686 creeping along on my rig showing 0.0ppd in the FAH Tracker and thought maybe something was screwed up... All cores of my 2600k are showing 100% though so I assume it's just an annoyance that it will get through eventually. Anything I should check though just to be sure?
 
Thankfully I saw this thread, I've got a 2686 creeping along on my rig showing 0.0ppd in the FAH Tracker and thought maybe something was screwed up... All cores of my 2600k are showing 100% though so I assume it's just an annoyance that it will get through eventually. Anything I should check though just to be sure?

Like it was stated above, make sure you have at least 10 normal SMPs completed before doing these bigadv unit's, or else the PPD awarded will be completely not-worth-it instead of mostly not-worth-it :) If you mean 2684's anyway, i dont know about 2686s
 
How long has it been going on the 2686? My2 600k @ 4.6GHz gets a 23:29 TPF on it ....


Thankfully I saw this thread, I've got a 2686 creeping along on my rig showing 0.0ppd in the FAH Tracker and thought maybe something was screwed up... All cores of my 2600k are showing 100% though so I assume it's just an annoyance that it will get through eventually. Anything I should check though just to be sure?
 
How long has it been going on the 2686? My2 600k @ 4.6GHz gets a 23:29 TPF on it ....
Yeah the other 268X units have much more normal run times, the 2684 stands alone in its wretchedness.
 
hmm, I correctly stated 2686 even though I incorrectly read your 2684 as 2686... And it's still at 1%, I assume it has an issue and needs to have the current WU deleted and repulled???
 
hmm, I correctly stated 2686 even though I incorrectly read your 2684 as 2686... And it's still at 1%, I assume it has an issue and needs to have the current WU deleted and repulled???

If it is still at 1% after 15 hours, there is definately something wrong. This has happened to me before where it got stuck at the same percent completed for a while when all cores are pegged at 100% according to windows task manager or CoreTemp.

If you want to dump this work unit, just delete the work directory, delete the queue.dat file, and change the machine ID in the config to make sure it doesn't send you this exact same work unit again.
 
Woots, I'm getting PPD again! No clue if I did something to fix or I just lucked up and it started working again. I "Deleted WU", "Downloaded Project List", and "Downloaded FAH Clients. Couple hours later and I'm still on 2686 but upto 3% with 584.4PPD, as opposed to 1% for over 10hrs with 0.0PPD...
 
Back
Top