How should I do this? (Network+Internet+VoIP for small non-tech business)

Streyeder

Cornflake Pisser
Ok, I'm a computer tech at a photography business here in Auburn, AL. I've just been handed a project to research that, quite frankly, I think has probably been done, kid tested and mother approved. Truthfully, I haven't been kept up on everything a tech needs to since: A) I only fix computers in our office and not multiple environments and B) I'm in school and not for MIS or IT.

Here's what my boss wants me to look into doing. Any feedback/suggestions are welcome as I think there is a multitude of people here that can wrap their heads around this much easier than I can.

Business Type:
Photography
Network Topography:
Adhoc XP network with router and one Win98 machine as a fileserver.
Needs:
-High upload speed (all photographs)
-5 phone lines (Fax and 800 included)
-Reliability

Phase 1: Internet
We currently have internet through BS and are looking for hgiher speed access. We're looking at some other business class DSL or a T1. We can do with 3mb down, but the 512 up is killing our picture uploading. There are times when we have to leave uploads going all night just for one day's worth of pictures. We also want to look into a backup provider solution that doesn't need to have the speed, but would be there as insurance (in-case-shit).

Phase 2: Phones
We have 5 phone lines and long distance through a seperate provider. We want to consider switching to VoIP, but have a very high reliability level. I want to look into both a VoIP service and Asterisk. Also, we might consider sharing this service with a business next door which would increase this to 10 lines. I know there will be bandwidth consequences and such, but how much?

Anyone have some suggestions, ideas, ro examples to throw in here to help me figure out what we should do.

You have several different options for a small business. The first would be going with a converged Data/Voice solution from a company like Cbeyond communications where they would tie into your existing PBX/Key System either analog (FXO) or Digital (PRI) and all of your Voice traffic would be IP from their router to their soft switches until they hand off to the PSTN. With a company like this you can also use a service called SIP connect that allows you to run an IP PBX at your office such as Cisco's Callmanger Express and have your Voice traffic be IP from the IP Phone all the way to the PSTN..

Another option would be to use a hosted solution through a company like Covad that also utilizes a converged Data/Voice solution, but they host the IP PBX (Soft Switch) and you only purchase the IP Phones.

I have seen and used both and the quality, price, etc are all about the same...

If you would like more detailed information on either of these solutions, including Callmanager Express solutions you can PM me...

Back