how should i configure upgrade

Rustic

Limp Gawd
I have built only one PC, which is the one i am upgrading. It is the one and only PC we have so it serves 4 people. Basically im not sure what to do with the SSD's . Right now i have an OCZ 128Gb(c drive) which is full. It has the OS, games and music. I do have a storage drive but i cant seem to get the other people in my family to use it. So I purchased a Crucial M4 256 to replace it as the main drive.

So this is what i have:

AMD 955 BE
Gigabyte Motherboard
OCZ 128 SSD
WD 720 storage

Going to :
Ivy 3570K
Gigabyte UD5H
Crucial 256 SSD

How do i configure the drives? Crucial as C? OCZ as ?

128 GB should be fine for an OS drive although you may want to put the OS on the 256 GB drive for reliability reasons (OCZ being less reliable on average then crucial). Other than that the choice should not matter much. You will not for the most part notice any performance difference between the drives. And for size difference if you used the 128GB for the OS and in the future that become a little restrictive you could link some folders to other drives (search for NTFS junction points) and get around that.

One idea for you, if you want to solve your initial problem by not throwing money at it [not that it's a bad thing]

Move your family's stuff [media etc] for them and use symbolic links. Do some google on "mklink", in particular what you want is mklink /d

Windows 7 also has the ability to move whole libraries that exist on your solid state to another location. Right click on Documents, Music or Videos in any windows profile and find the "Move folder" button.

My wife and kids use itunes alot so that is probly eating up some storage. Can i move their itunes folders and not mess anything up?

With a junction (same thing hotcrandel was describing with mklink) the application will not know the difference.

Back